Common Law Marriage/Colombia

Pitter

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 06:57 am
Here in Colombia where I am living common law marriage or "union libre" is far more common than conventional marriage or "matrimonio". One reason is that this is a Catholic country so a church wedding is obligatory and that is too expensive for many. However here a "union lbre" acquires legal status after just two years so that if the couple separates for example the woman is entitled to half of everything acquired during the relationship. In other words ending a "union libre" entails almost all the same stipulations as divorce.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 4,895 • Replies: 10
No top replies

solar

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 06:47 pm
So in a roundabout way the Catholic church is promoting 'living in sin' by making it too expensive to marry. Very interesting dilemma.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 08:13 pm
The church its self doesn't charge much, about $30 but the rest of it, the flowers, the tux and dress, the reception, the photographer and so on really add up. My own wedding ended up costing a couple thousand in US dollars.
0 Replies

solar

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 08:20 pm
whew, my sis in law spent $8,000 canadian on her wedding gown alone.
I keep imagining how that would have been better for a down payment on a house.
But I guess it helps the ecomony.
0 Replies

Paul Tallini

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 09:39 am
Where can I find the law related to common law marriage in Colombia. Is the party entitled to only half the property acquired during the relationship or are they entitled to half of everything even property acquired before the relationship?
Pitter

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 08:40 pm
@Paul Tallini,
Here is a very good explanation of "Union de Hecho" (common law marriage) in Colombia. It is in Spanish but I think you can just paste it into Google Translate.

http://www.semana.com/vida-moderna/articulo/sin-matrimonio-con-patrimonio/14512-3
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 09:52 pm
@Pitter,
US - Our mariage cost little, at a questionable chapel on Lincoln Blvd.
Paperwork moving. Chinese dinner feast after it. Lasted many years.
Pitter

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 05:35 am
@ossobuco,
Hearty congratulations on that!
0 Replies

gina13

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 10:59 am
@Pitter,
if my brother goes live in Columbia with a woman for 2 years and something happens is she entitle to his property in new York america
Ragman

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 11:17 am
@gina13,
Read back as the answer has been provided
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 12:54 pm
Not so long ago one did not spend fortunes on weddings. It depended a bit on how large your family was, but still.
Now it seems like you have to have a big show off. Instead of using some of that money for good furniture or what ever you need.
Just heard about a baptism with 60 guests and dinner afterwards. Confirmation starts to turn out like that too.
Then comes your final exams which also are expensive celebrations
So a wedding has to be even bigger and more expensive.
This seems to be a world wide thing.
0 Replies