Can someone help me figure out this rock??

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 10:39 pm
@bryck,
GEOLOGY not GEOGRAPHY. You will find the main rock type near where you found that rock. There would probably be a description of the components and if there are any metals or other minerals.
Quartz is like the vegetable soup of rocks. It is, the rock type that solidifies at the lowest temperature so things like noble metals stay in solution and "crystallize" within the quartz matrix.

Thats why prospectors are always looking for QUARTZ when they are gold mining.

The rest is just academics and boring if you aint a rocknocker like me
PS-dont be dumping acids all over rocks, if theres something toxic in there like lead or thallium, you could create a toxic ubstance that can leach into your skin. I dont reccomend doing "Acid tests" to any mineral unless you have some good idea what youre dealing with. Dolomite, Calcite and Aragonite will fizz in HCl, but usually you can see these because they have "stairstep-like" cleavage and are softer than 5 on the hardness scale.

The best tools are a good rck book, a hand lens and some hardness tools. (Keep a piece of flint or quartz and only quartz or harder minerals will scratch it.
Have fun.
0 Replies