Can someone help me figure out this rock??

bryck

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 01:37 pm
My Husband found this rock in our yard and I am so curious to find out what it is... It has a decent amount of colors on it and I am curious why... overall it looks almost "glassy" but with the black and red/brown spots on it... also it has what i am assuming is maybe pyrite on it but I don't know for sure... Any help would be appreciated!! ^_^ Thanks!!
We live in middle GA if that helps...
http://imageupper.com/g/?S020001008G1358018941467250
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,412 • Replies: 20
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 01:52 pm
@bryck,
The first thing that popped into my head was gypsum. But farmerman will know better.
bryck

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 01:55 pm
@rosborne979,
right on.. Thanks Smile I look forward to hearing from farmerman too Smile
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 02:03 pm
@bryck,
As an erstwhile rockhound Bryck I too am curious. Its shape suggests it might have been tooled, as with the "Indian" arrowhead, jasper, usu brown, red, yellow, black though sometimes white; or obsidian, usu black

Perlite is a white volcanic glass but usu chunky. The color and some of the surface formations suggest howlite, which however isn't glassy. Plain old quartz, though might qualify, and here my Better Half agrees

Bryck can you send a snapshot closeup or two
bryck

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 02:09 pm
@dalehileman,
I will take some closeup photos and post them here in a couple minutes Smile Thanks for your input, I have been dying to figure this rock out, lol.. there are other rocks similar to this one in that area of the yard, but only in that area...
bryck

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 02:36 pm
@dalehileman,
Here are some more photos closeup... well as close as i could get clearly that is...
http://imageupper.com/g/?S020001003O135802272046434
dalehileman

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 02:38 pm
@bryck,
Quote:
Here are some more photos closeup...
Thank you Bryck for those. How would you describe the surface, it looks smooth and glassy

Can you describe the soil in which it occurs

But I'm no means an expert. Try here:

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=6
bryck

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 02:43 pm
@dalehileman,
We have red clay and i believe limestone... The surface is jagged (tho not at all sharp) and glassy
dalehileman

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 02:51 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
popped into my head was gypsum
Could well be. The rock form isn't glassy but if you whack off a chunk, gypsum ought to be angled and maybe transparent

Yes Farmer, help us

http://www.mii.org/minerals/photogyp.html
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 02:53 pm
@bryck,
Maybe clear limestone, calcite. Apply a little acid, see if it fizzes
bryck

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:10 pm
@dalehileman,
well we dipped it in muriatic acid b/c i read that's a good way to tell fools gold from real... it said the fools gold would fiz and dissolve, but nothing happened... does that count for a good type of acid?? that's the only thing we tried, but like i said, nothing happened, to the rock, or the gold-colored spots... does that mean those gold-colored spots might be mica??
farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 04:17 pm
@bryck,
Its called "ferruginous quartz". It means that , in the segments of the rrock's fabric, there are layers of iron and manganese dioxide (called "wad"). Do you live on the East Coast near the Appalachians? or else in the area of the SIerras"
The quartz is a kind of milky quartz that can often contain heavy minerals inclusing silver and gold. Id scrape off some of the metallic stuff and hold a magnet over it.
Did you find this at an outcrop or just a busted up chunk?
farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 04:22 pm
@bryck,
if you dip fools gold in muriatic acid, nothing will happen. If you take a hunk nd hold it in a candle flame, you should smell sulfur dioxide or a rotten egg smell. Thats indicative of pyrites in the field.
The gold stuff could be bronzy mica (phlogopite) You can test this by rubbing it off an looking at it in a hand lens, mica will look shiny and flaky. You could also (After you get rid of the acid residua) rub it on your hnds and itll look a lot like "Glitter" (In fact, thats what glitter used to be made of)
bryck

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 04:26 pm
@farmerman,
Ok cool... we had absolutely NO idea what this rock was, and a big thank you to everyone for your help.... Now to answer you question farmer, we live about 100 miles south of the Appalachians and and about 100 miles from the coast... we are in Gray, Ga to be specific... we found it in our garden that we till up every year... so I guess it was a foot or so underground.. there may be more down there... there are a few pieces similar to this one in there... do you think it could be something pretty awesome, or just a nice rock??
bryck

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 04:28 pm
@farmerman,
ok i def think it is mica now, b/c it does have a "glitter" effect on the hands...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 04:33 pm
@bryck,
yep, you should get the state geology map of your area and youll see the Appalachian Front and the various "clines" have veins and big arms of thie irony quartz. There was a fairly decent "gold rush " un and around the Georgia/South Carolina lines. In fact, I think that South Carolina is still the third biggest gold producing state in the US.

The everyday name for your rock is "Bull Quartz" cuz its a real pain to farm around and it used to bust up farm implements in the days of horse drawn plows and harrows.

Looking at some of the picz, you may have some lead or silver in there along with the iron and manganese
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 04:37 pm
@bryck,
The quartz is a very resistant rock, lft iover from the veins or the granitic emplacements. If its quartz from granites or granodiorites, there would be a lot of red clay surrounding the quartz and you could probably dig deeper and find more and more. Its a pain in the garden so if its clay rich, you want to get the soil more permeable.
DO NOT USE SAND, if you mix sand in with the clay, youre gonna make CEMENT nd youll always have a spot in which rain will pond and all you could grow is rice.

Ill check in later, I gotta help with supper
dalehileman

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 04:43 pm
@bryck,
Quote:
well we dipped it in muriatic…. a good type of acid??
Evident hydrochloric is much used, diluted 'way down I think but I don't know how much; maybe one of those links below will tell

Quote:
…...nothing happened…..... does that mean those gold-colored spots might be mica??
Mica does often come in gold. However it's usu easy to ID 'cause it scratches and flakes so easily Gold is soft and scratches but of course doesn't flake

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=does+calcite+fizz+acid&oq=acid+calcite+fizz&gs_l=serp.1.0.0i8i30l2.165832.170862.0.184044.17.15.0.2.2.0.227.1741.7j7j1.15.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.TjcCSwbT9qE&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=f15e9a7982de076e&biw=1385&bih=765

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=test+for+fool%27s+gold&oq=test+for+fool%27s+gold&gs_l=serp.12..0i8.34847.37472.4.42806.8.8.0.0.0.1.540.1388.2j5j5-1.8.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.NKDje-E_N-8&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=f15e9a7982de076e&biw=1385&bih=765
0 Replies

bryck

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 07:01 pm
@farmerman,
thats awesome Smile so do you think there may possibly be a chance of finding some precious metals in there or maybe in other one's like it?? To look at geography maps, what specifically do i need to be looking for?? also, where would be the best place to find the maps??
rosborne979

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 07:46 pm
@bryck,
Upon closer inspection of the photo's, it now appears to simply be grey quartz.
0 Replies