10 percent/poker

Sat 12 Jan, 2013 12:49 pm
hi all, in any game if there was an altering in 10 percent of the normal way it is played, would this have effect on outcome.

Live poker as 3 burn cards, these are cards disused from the deck

internet poker does not use burn cards

even though the odds stay the same

by time the community is to the turn card, there is 3 extra cards in the deck that can be drawn, a difference of 10 percent to live play.

Would this alter outcome, would this alter variance, would this create more draws and big hands.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 6,043 • Replies: 6
Topic Closed
No top replies

Kolyo

Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:20 pm
@steve123,
Okay, I'm not that well-acquainted with poker. But it sounds like the only difference here is, they burn the first 3 cards from the top of the pile in live poker, but not in internet poker. And that's the 10% difference in style of play?

No, that would have no effect on the outcome as far as I can see. In both versions you are going to be drawing just 5 cards. The number of cards below them in the pile won't matter.
steve123

Sun 13 Jan, 2013 12:46 pm
@Kolyo,
In live play they burn one card, then deal out three <the flop>, then another burn card, then the turn card, then finally one more burn card then the river card.

These burn cards in live poker where originally designed to prevent cheating.
They also take away cards that people may need, example if the 3 burn cards were lets say all aces, then the person who is playing the ace, is looking in trouble, even though we do not know those cards that are burnt, and the odds stay the same, the variance must alter, as all ready a person on a draw as 6 percent more chance of hitting his/her draw with the burn cards been included.
markr

Sun 13 Jan, 2013 03:41 pm
@steve123,
As long as the burned cards are not revealed, burning does not affect anything. You could shuffle the deck before revealing each flop/turn/river card, and it wouldn't make any difference. You could burn as many cards as you want (as long as enough remain to reveal flop/turn/river cards), and it wouldn't make any difference.
AbbaKatia

Fri 10 Sep, 2021 04:14 am
@markr,

Thank you very much for your advice.
0 Replies

mark noble

Sat 11 Sep, 2021 06:25 am
Has anyone here played Gwent? It's the New Poker. Over 150million players (Online). The only stake - is the loss or gain of cards. You stake your Best card (Typically, a 10-15 Branded-Hero card) Against, whatever card your opponent values the most. I like it, but haven't built up my 'monster deck' enough to try it out, yet. So, I'll stick with my 'unbeatable' Northern Realms, for now, until I win some new 'monster' cards.

Anyone wanna game?

Have a lovely day
0 Replies

ErwinDulaney

Thu 6 Apr, 2023 04:26 pm
@steve123,
Thanks for sharing your interesting question about the potential impact of altering gameplay in poker. It's definitely possible that small changes to the rules of a game could have an effect on the outcome and variance.
0 Replies