Downton Abbey

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 11:55 am
Are you watching?

After hearing that the actor who plays Matthew is leaving at the end of this season my mom and I are debating what will happen.

I say that Matthew will inherit the money and he'll die before he can give it away so Mary ends up with it all.

Mom says that Matthew will inherit the money, give it away (to who?) and Mary will leave him.... or something.

Will Edith marry Sir Anthony and save the family?

What do you think we'll see happen this season?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 18 • Views: 16,334 • Replies: 188

saab

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:04 pm
@boomerang,
After New Years I watched for several hours as I had borrowed the CDs. Saw in an English paper what will happen to Matthew and Mary but just wait and see......
It is a wonderful program...
DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:07 pm
@boomerang,
I didn't get the idea that Sir Anthony had enough dough to save the house.
saab

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:08 pm
@boomerang,
This might interest you

http://www.highclerecastle.co.uk/
boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:09 pm
@saab,
It is a wonderful show!

I got hooked on it when I went to stay with my mom after she had surgery. We caught the first season on Netflix and immediately ran out about bought the DVD for season 2 and gobbled it up.

Season 3 just started here last Sunday. I can hardly wait until next Sunday to see what happens.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:11 pm
@DrewDad,
I think you're right. But it might allow them to hang on a bit.

It doesn't seem entirely settled that the railroad will be taken over by the Canadian government so I have my fingers crossed that they don't lose Cora's fortune.
boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:14 pm
@saab,
I've looked all through that site -- and MANY others.

Mom and I couldn't believe that was a real house.

Is it true that the purpose of such estates was to provide employment to villages? I'd never really thought about it, probably because it seems seems so contrary to the American way of doing things.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:15 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Is it true that the purpose of such estates was to provide employment to villages?

Uh, no. That wasn't the purpose of such estates. That's a by-product of those estates, conveniently put forward by those who don't want to admit the history behind the Noble system and the inequality at the heart of it.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:16 pm
@saab,
There was apparently a documentary on PBS about the castle within the last 3 or 4 days. A friend is going there later this year. She's a total addict.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:18 pm
@boomerang,
All those scenarios seem possible...but when you get programs like this, the writers always seem to come up with a scenario that can barely be imagined by the viewers.

Whatever they come up with has to lead to more conflict...or the program ends.

The conflict of taking the inheritance seems to me to be a bit overdone. He, so to speak, doth protesteth to mucheth.

In any case, it would not surprise me if the Canadian who claims to be the true heir comes back into the picture to muddy up the waters a bit more.

Goddam show has me entranced. But I suspected I would fall victim, since I am an acknowledged Anglophile. Two years in England while in service and all that.
boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
So was the purpose more like the purpose behind giant American estates -- to show off your wealth? Privacy?
boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:19 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm jealous. I'd love to take my mom there....
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:20 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
So was the purpose more like the purpose behind giant American estates -- to show off your wealth? Privacy?

I hope you pronounced that properly when conceiving of the sentence...you know, with the soft "i."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:21 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Because They Are Entitled To It As Nobility. That's the sole reason. Anything else that is put forth is just a justification.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:24 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I'm jealous. I'd love to take my mom there....

I'd like to take Jessica Brown Findlay (the actress who plays Sibyl) there! She is hot...and I can't take my eyes off her when she is in a scene.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I hope they do keep us on our toes!

Having the lost heir show up at the last minute would be fun -- especially if he's handsome and single.

It has me entranced too -- partly because it's just so beautiful to look at.
saab

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:28 pm
@boomerang,
No it was not the purpose of such estates to provide employment just as little as factories were build to provide emlpoyment. Or the large estates in the South in USA were to provide employment.
You buildt such estates or large farms where the earth is good for agriculture, there were large forrest to provide wood and game and preferable water too.
Denmark and south Sweden took seasonal especially female workers from Poland to pick turnips. First year 1893 400 came to Denmark and 1929 it was 14 000.
So you can see the demand of workers were far greater depending on the season than a village could provide.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:29 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
Having the lost heir show up at the last minute would be fun -- especially if he's handsome and single.

Actually, I meant the lost heir to Downton Abbey...who definitely is not handsome, although he is single. He was the guy who was burnt to the point where no one recognized him (he survived the sinking of Titanic and was the set up character in episode #1). He left Downton Abbey when he realized everyone (other than Edith) thought he was an impostor trying to gain access to the estate.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That would also set up some triangulation for Edith...who seems interested in anyone who is interested in her.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:33 pm
@saab,
Interesting!

Thank you.

I need to read some history....