Downton Abbey

contrex

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 04:50 am
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

who are Germany's favourite TV comedians, and can you give us examples of their best jokes?

One of the funniest comedians I know of is the Stand-up-Komiker Henning Wehn who is from Hagen in Noth-Rhine-Westphalia. he lives in London now and is the self-styled German Comedy Ambassador.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/kommt-ein-deutscher-drei-witze-mit-kraut-1.880920

He makes me laugh like a drain.

"My family also suffered in the war. My grandfather dad died at a concentration camp. He fell out of a guard tower when he was drunk."

“England v Germany is always a big game. For Germany there are usually bigger games to follow”

His response to the English football chant of "One world cup and two world wars" is "Three World Cups and one world Pope"

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:55 am
Quote:
Contrex said: One of the funniest comedians I know of is the Stand-up-Komiker Henning Wehn who is from Hagen in Noth-Rhine-Westphalia. he lives in London now
His response to the English football chant of "One world cup and two world wars" is "Three World Cups and one world Pope"

Haha hilarious stuff, and his one about the concentration camp guard would have them ROFLING in the aisles if he ever plays Tel Aviv..Wink

Speaking of ex-Pope Ratzinger who was in the Hitler Youth, I hear that whenever he heard an ambulance or police siren going down the street outside while he was conducting Mass in the Vatican, he'd shout "ACHTUNG! everybody into the air raid shelters, SCHNELL!!" as a reflex action..Smile

As for Henning Wehn living in London now, he should be pleased. A lot of his countrymen tried to get into London in 1940 and didn't make it..Smile
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 06:03 am
Also there are some very funny German writers, I always liked Hans Helmut Kirst. It is a widespread (and incorrect) stereotype outside the country that Germans have little understanding of humorous situations. In the interesting book "A Social History Of The Third Reich", the historian Richard Grunberger explores how ordinary Germans used jokes to express subversive thoughts. E.g.

"There was a traffic pile-up on the Unter den Linden last night - Goering had gone out for a walk and he forgot to dip his medals",

"There was a petrol shortage in Berlin last week - Goering had his uniform cleaned"

"Goering found some old uniforms belonging to the Kaiser and is having his left arm surgically shortened".

Ordinary people called margarine "Hitler butter".

Early in the war, Goering announced that he would change his name to Meyer if a single enemy aircraft penetrated German air space. Later, when Allied air raids were commonplace, the warning sirens were popularly known as "Meyer's buglehorns".

0 Replies

NSFW (view)
NSFW (view)
neologist

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 01:24 pm
@boomerang,
For what its worth, the entire season 4 is available for viewing/download at cokeandpopcorn.ch
contrex

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 01:33 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
For what its worth, the entire season 4 is available for viewing/download

...illegally.
neologist

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:39 pm
@contrex,
I never heard of that before

[Edit] Google search shows no known problems.
contrex

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:54 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I never heard of that before

[Edit] Google search shows no known problems.

Downton Abbey is copyright material. That is a pirate site you linked to.

0 Replies