Downton Abbey

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 02:00 pm
@JPB,
Yes, poor Edith!

I have a feeling things will work out for her, though. Maybe she'll end up raising Ethyl's baby or something.....
mismi

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 06:23 pm
@boomerang,
Egads...it was horrid. Felt so for her. I totally missed the mark on the money though. Kind of surprising that Lavinia managed to get that letter off in time to make sure the money was secure. Odd. She was incredibly thoughtful to be so sick AND gilted.

I might be a little skeptical. It seemed on the up and up though.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 08:45 pm
@mismi,
This weeks episode is the reason I say Downton Abbey is really nothing more than a glorified soap opera.

Problems arise (cancer, bankruptcy)...and disappear within an episode or two.
boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 09:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I wish real life was more like that......
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 09:16 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah...at times we all do.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 01:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
This weeks episode is the reason I say Downton Abbey is really nothing more than a glorified soap opera.

Why would anybody think it is anything else? It is soap. Many Brits feel that Downton Abbey is a load of hokum, especially the second series - laughable scripts, soulless characters, stiff acting. Those Emmys notwithstanding - one UK critic said "whadda those Yanks know about period drama anyway?" It does look like the kind of Brit drama that appeals more to Americans.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 02:02 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
Many Brits feel that Downton Abbey is a load of hokum, especially the second series - laughable scripts, soulless characters, stiff acting.
Interestingly, I've only met such people last year ... even in "such" castles.

But (referring to the German soap):
Quote:
Both ZDF programme director Dr. Claus Beling and Rosamunde Pilcher were awarded the British Tourism Award in 2002 for the positive effect the books and the TV versions had on Cornwall and Devon tourism within the UK.
Wink Source
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 02:37 pm
@contrex,
I must admit I've only ever watched it on Harry Hill, that sort of stuff's never really appealed. I did however watch the first episode of Blandings based on PG Wodehouse, and really liked it, although the reviews have been mixed.

Mame

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 02:43 pm
I googled the characters of the show and found out some spoilers. Wish I'd have known and I wouldn't have done that. Now I know what's going to happen this year. Dang.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 04:00 pm
DON'T TELL US! DON'T TELL US!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 04:07 pm
I love Wodehouse and Lord Emsworth, but I've gotta say< "Blandings" looks dreadful. "Lord Emsworth" does not have the character of Lord Emsworth down at all, and whoever is directing it is trying to make it look like slapstick, and it doesn't work at all. The Hugh Laurie-Stephen Fry "Jeeves and Wooster"s were much better.
mismi

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 04:11 pm
@izzythepush,
My husband and I read Wodehouse to each other when traveling before we had kids. Love it so!

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 04:16 pm
@mismi,
In the post-Sandy blackout in NYC, my sister read Wodehouse to her husband and kids, actually I think it was a Blandings story she was reading. By candlelight. The kids loved it. Why stop now, mismi?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 02:21 am
@MontereyJack,
I agree that the Fry and Laurie series was excellent, but in a way all adaptations are a disappointment, when you read the books you have your own images in your head, and when people see things differently it can rankle. The review in the Independent said as much.

Having said that Timothy Spall is a brilliant actor, and I'd watch it just for him. Jennifer Saunders and Mark Williams are both very good as well.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 02:22 am
@mismi,
I'm sure it will may its way over your side of the pond soon.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 05:31 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
In the post-Sandy blackout in NYC, my sister read Wodehouse to her husband and kids, actually I think it was a Blandings story she was reading. By candlelight. The kids loved it. Why stop now, mismi

It was a ritual with us I suppose and we fell out of it once the twins came along then I had another when the twins were 2. I do think they would think it is funny. We should start it again. You know - life and all - it gets a little crazy.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 05:49 pm
@izzythepush,
sweet, been waiting for this to start, time to search the darker regions of the intertubes to find the episodes
djjd62

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 05:52 pm
@djjd62,
found it, also really digging Father Brown, quite like Arthur Weasley as the crime solving priest
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 05:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Life is nothing more than a glorified soap opera.
mismi

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 05:43 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I wish real life was more like that....

Gah! I know!
0 Replies