Australia and its citizens

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 03:04 am
[
Quote:
B]Australia says it won't fight for its citizens' return from Guantanamo[/B]

Sydney, Australia-AP
The Australian government says it can't and it won't bring back two Australians being held without charges at Guantanamo Bay.

The government says it can't put them on trial in Australia because current anti-terror laws weren't on the books at the time of their capture.

This has enraged the family of one of the detainees -- David Hicks. His father says Britain has been able to negotiate the release of five of its citizens, so he wonders what his own country has been doing.

The prime minister has said he's happy to let the United States military justice system deal with Hicks and the other Australian detainee.

Hicks' U-S military attorney tells Australia's Sky News that Hicks is "facing a process that's stacked against him."

Source

Just wondering.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,392 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 03:29 am
Sick, eh?

I haven't read your source - but Howard, our Prime Minister, says he won't be pressuring for their return, because we do not have the laws to try them under.

That is, what they did was not illegal under Australian law at the time they did it....

But - please don't say Australia won't fight for its citizens return from this disgusting refuge for illegality and the destruction of human "rights' America has set up - it is the Prime Minister and, presumably, a majority of cabinet, in the current (and, one hopes, soon to be ousted) federal government.

I am not sure how public opinion pans out on this one - but many of us are disgusted.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 03:31 am
Oh - Howard is happy for them to do their prison sentences here.

I guess they won't be letting them out, as France did with its Rainbow Warrior murderers (employed by the French military to commit an act of terror on new Zealand soil) as soon as NZ allowed them to be extradited to serve the remainder of their sentences in France.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:45 pm
Hey, look, lets put things THIS way - if Bush says it, then Howard agrees. For gods sake, honestly, what things has Howard said NO to Bush about? I can only think of two - the FTA with China and the possible lifting of the arms ban on China by the EU - and both is only because he is interested with doing trade with China!!

It's a miracle that Habib has been released - it's also not a suprise that the Howard gov has refused compensation!
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:46 pm
By the way Dlowan, what will happen if i DO provoke the bunny??? Or should I be thinking "I don't want to know?"

(3 hours later)

Ok, dlowan, checked the website and have found out the unfortunate result of what happens when the bunny gets mad. What a GREAT (*devilish smile* Twisted Evil ) picture!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:41 am
Lol - didn't see your posts before!!

Welcome to A2k.

Care to say which part of Oz you are from?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 05:53 am
Hey: Dlowan, I am from Brisbane. You?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 05:57 am
dlowan wrote:
...I am not sure how public opinion pans out on this one - but many of us are disgusted.

Yes, indeed! Our government will do NOTHING to upset the US government. It's that simple.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 08:19 pm
pragmatic wrote:
Hey: Dlowan, I am from Brisbane. You?

Adelaide - but me fella is in Brisbane - so I visit a bit.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:37 pm
pragmatic wrote:
By the way Dlowan, what will happen if i DO provoke the bunny??? Or should I be thinking "I don't want to know?"

(3 hours later)

Ok, dlowan, checked the website and have found out the unfortunate result of what happens when the bunny gets mad. What a GREAT (*devilish smile* Twisted Evil ) picture!!

Jeez - pragmatic - DON'T PROVOKE THE BUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those of us who have been here longer know the angst it causes (not to the bunny herself!) only too well. RESIST!!!!

As long as you're not a trouble maker - welcome to a2k Twisted Evil
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:52 pm
Hi Margo:

Thanks for the welcoming msg - and re the devilish smile...I look forward to many *happy* days here...(trouble making...)

MWAHAHAHAH!! Mr. Green
0 Replies