Do not feed the squirrels

jcboy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 03:47 am
My friend Brad skins them. He said he’s always got a squirrel in his freezer. Flea ridden rodents!

Yesterday the three of us went out to lunch, when we came home the squirrels were waiting. We have a giant oak tree in the front yard they were peeking around every branch of that tree just waiting to attack!
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 06:23 am
Four of them varmints moved into my house. They were tearing it up. I trapped them all and set them loose in a park about twelve miles away. Got the last two yesterday.
jcboy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 06:29 am
@edgarblythe,
You know at the old house I had a possum that got into the garage, I have so many boxes he could hide just about anywhere. I couldn’t leave the garage door open to let him out because the dogs would get in so a friend of mine loaned me one of those cage traps. I put cat food in it and caught him. I called animal control but they don’t come out to pick up possums so I asked what could I do with it, well they told me it was illegal to transport him in my car and illegal to let him go in a city park. The only thing I could do with him was turn him loose in the alley.

So I did, a few days later he came back in the yard and the dogs killed him.
Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 06:30 am
@jcboy,
Have you had a discussion about the inadvisability of feeding wild animals?
jcboy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 06:33 am
@Setanta,
We sure did, if he feeds them they will hang around the house and if they get in the back yard the dogs will catch them and kill em. They’ve caught a few already. My smaller dog Mac sits by the fence waiting for them to run across, it’s a six foot fence but she can jump and she is FAST, she can actually jump straight up and snatch them off the fence, she’s that quick!
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 06:52 am
I always make certain there are no authority figures around when I let them go. - I have done the same with possums in times past.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 08:32 am
@dlowan,
A (favorite) video I've linked to before:

0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 09:24 am
@jcboy,
You're lucky he doesn't think alligators are cute.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 09:41 am
@jcboy,
Thats why its always easier to ask forgiveness than permission to some faceless beurocracy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 02:05 pm
Crap. I had another squirrel in the trap when I got home. As soon as I got back from dropping it off, another one climbed in, in the time it took to go around the house and pour myself a cup of coffee. Hoping that's the last of them for a time.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 08:13 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Our squirrels have been raised in good Christian homes. They don't "go bad".

I reckon farmerman's squirrels will all be Amish!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 05:27 pm
I like them, as long as there not in my attic, which they have been on more than one occasion .

One time me and my boys decided we would take care of the problem ourselves rather than paying some guy way too much money to set traps.

First we figured out where they were coming in and then we made a absolute ruckus in the attic figuring they would flee to the safety of the trees.

My youngest son was stationed outside to make sure the vacated the premises, but as young sons are wont to, he got bored waiting and planted his head up his butt. Nevertheless he assured me that he saw two squirrels exit through the soffet (or is it facia) spacing, and so son #1 climbed a ladder garbed in his lacrosse gear to spray that expanding goo that hardens to fill cracks in the spacing.

Although he was a terror on the lacrosse field the prospect of a furry tailed rodent leaping for his throat spooked him and was he ineffective, to say the least, in carrying out his assignment. So after gently reprimanding him for being so sensitive, I took over and laid down a virtual hornets nest of the stuff.

No more than five minutes after the deed was done, a squirrel appeared at the site and began gnawing feverishly away at the hardening goo. He, and here I assume gender, made a valiant try,but couldn't clear the opening and eventually the pine cones we were throwing at him chased him away.

I had a sinking feeling however that my youngest son's count was off by one, but there was nothing to do. We figured if we heard the one left behind scuttling about we would call the exterminator after all.

We didn't and so I chalked it up an unworthy assumption of my son's attention span and a crazed squirrel who really really like our attic.

Eight months later, however, my wife went to the attic to retrieve Christmas wreaths and let loose with a blood curdling scream. Rushing to her side, I found Mrs. Squirrel curled up in a ball on the wreaths; dead as a door nail.

We never found any baby corpses (thank Goodness) but it was one more dead rodent on my karmic debt ledger (perhaps, some day I will share the story of the live trap debacle that resulted in me being considered the Adolph Eichmann fro mice on Long Island).

I like the critters, especially when they get testy and chastise you, but we don't see a whole lot of them where I live now. If they should come by though,and my dogs reveal themselves to be squirrel killers, I'd consider it Nature's Way and preferable to their current predation on the local lizards.
0 Replies