Disposable Diapers are Evil

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 06:42 pm
Ok, not all of them and maybe not evil but I can tell you that the major brands are not good for baby's skin.

Case in point:

Darling has a nasty diaper rash. I use Sensitive wipes (Pampers) which claim to be alcohol free and all that. She screams every time I try to wipe her up, which with a diaper rash has to be done often. I was reading up on diaper rash and come across an artical that claims even Sensitive wipes have alcohol and it is buring that poor raw skin every time I wipe her. I am like "what?" But I check the label and sure as ****, one of ingredients listed is Benzyl Alcohol! First, benzyl alcohol is ALCOHOL and the fine print says no rubbing alcohol so they can put alcohol free on the label. Second, it's used as a solvent for inks and paints and such. !!!!! Third, apparently benzyl alcohol burns raw skin because she sure hollared any time I got near her (I'll prove later that it wasn't just because she was sore).

So I figure I'll try some natural wipes. And hell, while I'm at it, try the cholorine free diapers too. I buy some and go to wipe her....hardly any reaction. (versus screaming and writhing only hours before) I am hesitant about using a new diaper at night but do it anyway.

Next morning, her rash is literally almost gone. Almost completely dried up. The blistered spots are not open and raw. The red is gone.

Seventh Generation is the greatest product ever. I will never ever go back to regular diapers again. A simple diaper change and wipe change cleared up a rash almost overnight. And this is without a diaper change all night. What in gods name is in those diapers that would cause such irriation to her skin? Proof of all the **** they put in the products you trust to be safe for your baby.

They are not that much more expensive and the small amount extra they are is worth it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 5,973 • Replies: 21
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 06:50 pm
@Bella Dea,
Interesting, will follow this. I'd like to buy Seventh Generation stuff but it is out of my league. Interested in what they are doing, though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 06:50 pm
@Bella Dea,
Check the extra, extra fine print.

Do they come from China?
littlek

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 06:54 pm
@Bella Dea,
I like 7th gen products a lot. When I was caring for babies we'd use a warm, damp wash clothe to wipe the butts. Seems kind of gross now, but it worked out well.
Bella Dea

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 07:01 pm
They have coupons on their website for like $1.00 off. Their dish soap, for example is about 3.50 for a thing. Only slightly more expensive than say Dawn.

I am slowly becoming a hippie. And it's great!
Bella Dea

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 07:04 pm
@roger,
They are made in Saudi Arabia. Shocked
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 07:10 pm
@Bella Dea,
Oh you sweet thing. From one old hippie to a new, young hippie, welcome to the club.

I actually used cloth diapers on my first son, but I think disposable diapers, at least those from a company like 7th Generation, are probably better in keeping the that delicate baby skin dry.

I used disposables on my second son, but he never seemed to have a bad reaction, and the squirrels loved to steal them out of the trash for their nesting material.

Yucky little squirrels.
Stormwatch

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 07:59 pm
@Diane,
I have heard stories like that about disposable diapers before. I used cloth diapers for both of my kids. Gentle detergent, two rinses...and happy rash free bums. I do like Seventh Generation products for cleaning.
Diane

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 08:32 pm
@Stormwatch,
And didn't you find that those cloth diapers never wore out? They made the best dust cloths ever. A couple on my old ones lasted for a good fifteen years.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:59 am
We used a diaper service with my first two.... man did those guys earn their money! Sad
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 11:22 am
make your own wipes + solution.

water + one drop of lavender oil (smell and totally optional) 2 tablespoons vinegar
Use wash clothes.
Cheap, cheap, cheap. No land fill stuff, re-useable to boot, sanitary, portable, and all that other blah blah stuff.

We too could not use the major brands of diapers for the same reasons. Diaper rash almost immediately. I think it is the horrid amounts of baby powder and chemicals they put in there for "smell", odor control and god knows what else.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 07:33 am
@Bella Dea,
Diaper rash is generally from diapers left on too long without changing, and it takes hours at least for blisters to appear; I think you're describing more of an allergic reaction.

Talk to your pediatrician, and consider having the baby tested for allergies.

You may also want to drop in unexpectedly at the day care, if you use one.
mismi

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 07:45 am
@DrewDad,
It sounds more like an allergic reaction to me as well. Changing the brand got baby away from whatever was causing the reaction in the other brand.

We used regular diapers and wipes and the boys hardly ever got diaper rash. Though the 7th Generation stuff sounds interesting
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 09:38 am
The Original Diaper Of Evil

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/diaper_illust.jpg
aidan

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 10:18 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I think disposables are evil because of what they do to our landfills moreso (or maybe just as much) as what havoc they wreak on sensitive skin.

My son couldn't have disposable diapers or wipes next to his skin, so I used cloth diapers and carried around thin little washcloths in a plastic baggy for when I needed to clean his little sensitive areas- and this was despite the fact I didn't own a washing machine and/or dryer. You should have seen the looks I'd get when I walked into the laundromat in center city Philly with a black bin bag stinking of dirty diapers.

My daughter was a different story . By this time I owned a house and a washer and dryer, and she happened to be directly the opposite of my son in terms of skin sensitivity. She has skin of iron - has never had a breakout - but I still used cloth and bypassed the wipes again - all that scent and **** rubbed me the wrong way - you know they had to have chemicals - I mean for goodness sake - they're PAPER- even notebook paper has chemicals in it and by the time I got to her I was in the habit and had the diaper changing routine set anyway.

As she approached the age of three however, I did end up putting her in disposables at night as it took her FOREVER to make it through a night dry and double and triple cloth diapering her seemed like cruel and unusual punishment when I considered the fact that she'd be waking up with about nine layers of urine soaked cloth next to her skin every morning. It was an ethical dilemma, and I caved in the interest of her comfort.

But then when I put a disposable on her one day I discovered she could wear all these cute little pants that I thought she'd outgrown. The cloth diapers added like a size and a half to her little butt....so what I lost in terms of feeling virtuous in terms of saving the environment and money not buying disposables, I made up for in being able to reuse some of her old clothes I'd thought she'd outgrown.

She took FOREVER to get potty-trained - much longer than my son - and I had been told girls are almost ALWAYS faster.

I wouldn't use disposables though - even if my kid could handle it - why generate more trash and waste if it's avoidable?
chai2

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 10:56 am
@littlek,
Clothe wipes don't seem gross to me at all. I mean, they've worked well enough for several thousand years.

I agree with shewolf about warm clothes with some lavander and vinegar.

Then throw the wash rags into a bucket filled with a water vinegar solution until laundry time.

I wonder if witch hazel would be soothing to the baby?

I have to use witch hazel in that area sometimes, and it's never stung and is quite soothing to my problem.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 12:19 pm
Sounds to me like the wipes are the evil culprit. I actually used a wet wash cloth to clean the baby’s butt " when they were newborns. The doctor told me pointing the alcohol thing. Only when my babies had lots of diarrhea did I ever have an issue with diaper rash, but it always cleared up pretty much as soon as the diarrhea stopped. Babies heal so quickly. And I used pampers almost always.
mismi

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 01:11 pm
@Linkat,
I have not got a problem with cloth wipes at all. I used the heck out of them actually. I used them to cover up the boys bits and pieces while I wiped their bottoms to they didn't pee on the curtains or me for that matter. I used them when they did get diaper rash - like when they had loose stools and their little bottoms were raw. My husband's work associates had a diaper shower for us when they found out we were pregnant with twins. I got wipes and diapers out the wazoo. Very thankful. It was extremely kind of them.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 07:55 am
I know it sounds terrible but I don't have time for cloth wipes. I have two dogs who'd be trying to get into the bucket all the time. And it's a struggle for me to just get regular laundry done on a weekly basis, let along HAVE to do laundry like dirty wipes.

mismi

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:00 am
@Bella Dea,
It doesn't sound terrible at all. Do what you have to to get through each day - find the wipes that suit your baby and do not carry the guilt of what others think. You do great Bella - It is why I couldn't bring myself to do cloth diapers..two babies and all that poop - gag.