dummy question - where can I get duplicate keys

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 09:42 pm
I used to get them at hardware stores, including home deposit, but I just checked and online there is no clue. Anyone know if they they still do that? I want to give one to a couple of trusted people, plus have an additional one for myself.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,282 • Replies: 10
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 09:44 pm
Around here, I get keys at hardware stores, Walmart and Home Depot. I think it's Home Depot (could be Lowes).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 09:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Most hardware stores still cut keys - some big box type stores (like Walmart) still do, but that seems to be increasingly rare. There are usually kiosk-type places in most malls that provide key-cutting. Oddly (?) I often see keycutting advertised at places like Moneysworth and Best (a shoe repair franchise we see in malls here).

A couple of the corner stores around here also offer key-cutting. I usually pay about $3 - $5 to have a key cut.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 09:57 pm
@ehBeth,
ugh : $3 - 5 ... ****!

well, I'll see. Diane has one, but I don't have any extras.

I haven't been in a mall in years - Roger and I went to Cottonwood Mall once, looking for, uh, his avatar toy. Snort. That was quite a while ago, as in 5 years?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 10:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks, all.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 01:25 am
Try googling "locksmith" or "where can I get keys made in (your town)". There's one right next to my bank branch in MA, not that that's likely to help you, but they're not uncommon.
roger

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 02:10 am
@MontereyJack,
I get mine at a locksmith, too. Cheap, and by golly, much better than parking at WalMart and walking a quarter mile to the auto section where they make keys.
0 Replies

DavJohanis

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 03:26 am
@ossobuco,
Whilst your looking at this, please take my advice and get a chain or clip lock for your door, for when you are indoors. (clip locks are superior).

I have experience in locksmithing and slight experience in criminal behaviours and with some easily acquired tools, I can be in your home in less than 3 minutes silently, if you do not have a top deadlock or the above on your door. You should have the same security on second and third floor rear porches, it takes seconds for free runners such as my younger self to climb up and minutes at most for the older. (that is with joint damage too, do not underestimate the human ability to spurt a temporary juvenile phase over minutes).

The top deadlock is breachable too, so make sure you are safe inside.

On a less important note, if you are dealing with online stalking and suspect your keys are missing, use a local hardware store or locksmith, not eBay to get cheap replacement locks.. Some of the keys are quite often very basic and the locks have few levers. (but do not quote me on all sellers products please).

Dav.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 07:18 pm
I know they do at HomeDepot and Lowes, the only hardware stores we have around here.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 08:13 pm
My local Lowes has a machine I can make my own for $1-$2 each.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 09:01 pm
@engineer,
I'm typing here to see if my keyboard works...

cripes, it does.

I just went through a half hour or so with all coming out as caps (and, now, not, re my keyboard). Very strange, but I'm glad to be back.
0 Replies