about Cleanup

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 08:40 am
Need to ask someone who uses this program. Disk Cleanup from the site of cleanup.stevengould.org. I was just wondering of how you can be sure it's not deleting something that is needed on your computer. I have run it several times, but am just a little leery of it. I look at the list but I am no computer genius, so I don't know exactly what I am looking at. Can someone tell me it's safe? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 685 • Replies: 3
No top replies

rhymer

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 06:33 pm
I haven't used this cleanup utility, but having searched the web, conclude that there are no reports available of any problems with it.
If you have any worries about software of this type, create a restore point for your computer before running the software.

If you find you have problems due to 'missing files' you can then go back to the state your system was in before you ran the cleanup!

Windows itself offers a cleanup facilty, available from windows help centre.
Do use a firewall [try agnitum outpost freeware], and use a spyware detector [try spybotSD freeware and spyblaster]. Find any software by using google search and just enter the name of the company or the name of the software.
All the best, Bill.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 06:51 pm
ylee, its a safe bet that any utility which "Automatically Fixes" anything will at some point break something. If you're running Win ME or WinXP, it is a really good idea to set a restore point prior to installing any software, of any type, making any sort of system change, or performing any sort of "AutoFix". If you're running Win95 or 98, at least do a full registry backup, and keep it someplace you can get at it from safemode. Its also a good idea to read and understand the documentation that comes with software, particularly system-altering utilities, and figure out how to use their own restore, undo, or go-back function ... usually, there is such a safetynet built into the program. Just realize that automatic fix-it stuff screws up from time to time, so know how to recover from it when it happens.
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 08:47 pm
Thanks so much both of you. Timberland, thanks for the suggestion of doing a registry backup as I do have Win98SE. I will do that now.
0 Replies