Someone with Windows ME help meeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

caprice

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 01:56 am
Okay, I made the mistake of going to IRC for help. I NEVER get good help in IRC, so I don't know why I try. *exasperated sigh*

Problem: Removed a software product and associated file types seem to have gone with it.

I just wanna have everything back to its default settings. Nothing fancy. But what I did do doesn't seem to have worked quite the way it should. Everything SEEMS to be fine, except that on the Thumbnails view, all I get is an icon and not that nice little mini-image. This is for both .jpg and .gif files. Those with a .jpeg and a .bmp file extension show up just fine.

Argh! What are the settings I should have? I was hoping that if I could find someone with ME, I'd be able to compare my messed up settings with their not messed up ones.

Can anyone please help? Drunk
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 982 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:08 am
To Change File Associations
1)Right-click a file with the extension whose association you want to change, and then click Open With.
2)In the Open With dialog box, click the program in which you want the file to open, or click Browse to locate the program you want.
3)Select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box.

The default program for images is "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"

BTW, you should probably familiarize yourself with System Restore (lemme know if you need info).
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:18 am
*thud*

I already did a system restore and it did squat! Wonder how far back I'll have to go. Rolling Eyes

I do not have a Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Are ya sure that's with ME? Or did I lose it somehow?

My file association for .jpg and .jpeg files are identical, yet .jpg files don't show up on thumbnails, but .jpegs do!

I think I'd better call it a night soon. My cousin has ME, maybe I can compare notes with her computer.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:19 am
I'm feelin' an urge to do a full system restore. Backing up will be a real b*tch though. *sigh*
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:55 am
Sorry, I forgot that 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' came after ME.

The old program was "Imaging" from Kodak.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:22 am
That piece of crap? Hmmm...dang.

I did find this.

http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/37752/37752.html

It sums up my problem exactly, even if they are referring to XP. I made a change with some Office products I had on my computer.

I went into registry and found no subkeys for .gif or .jpg. Thankfully I have a .jpeg template to follow 'cause I just do not like messin' in the registry since I know nothing about how it works!

Also, both .gif and .jpg have "USSaver.Image" (what the heck is that??) under "Data" and don't have a "Content Type". Doing a string edit and creating additional subkeys isn't the problem, but how do I get the "Content Type" in there?

Thanks for your help!

I'm going to bed.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:39 am
Caprice, try this...
Click Start --> Run, then type:

regsvr32.exe /i shdoc401.dll

..and click OK.

Sometimes the Windows Desktop Update component used to display thumbnails isn't updated properly in the registry when you change file associations. Let us know if that fixes it, otherwise there may manual registry fixes you can try.

Quote:
I went into registry and found no subkeys for .gif or .jpg. Thankfully I have a .jpeg template to follow 'cause I just do not like messin' in the registry since I know nothing about how it works!

If you really do not have any subkeys under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\ and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.gif\ , that might be your problem right there, and you may need to create them manually.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 10:45 am
Thanks for the response and your suggestions Monger. I had found that bit of info during my Google searches and it too did squat.

Last night (er, this morning?) before going to bed, I made one last attempt. I sorta followed the recipe of .jpeg in the registry for the .jpg and .gif stuff. Voila! I got thumbnail viewing. But I couldn't open them -- their file associations were gone. So I redid that. Everything looks hunky dory now, so I'm happy about that, even if it took me forever to find the exact nature of the problem. I'm glad I found that one page which described my exact situation.

I am now Bill Gates' biggest fan!! *sarcasm aplenty -- enough to go around for everyone!* Mr. Green
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 10:53 am
caprice wrote:
Thanks for the response and your suggestions Monger. I had found that bit of info during my Google searches and it too did squat.

I believe that fix only works (in some cases) for people using IE 5.

Anywho, glad you got your problem sorted out. Smile
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 10:59 am
I think it's IE 6 on my laptop. I dunno, I hardly ever use IE.

I'm glad to have it sorted out too! Smile Now if only I could figure out what I deleted on the XP....
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:25 pm
Glad you got it sorted out. An easy way to do it, I think, would have been to download IrfanView and all its plugins, then let it be your default image viewer. It can handle, and cross-convert, just about any image file type. Its free, has a small footprint, and its reliable. I don't use it for real editing, but its a handy can-opener type of app.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 12:46 am
Thanks for the idea timberlandko. I have so much junk on my hard drive though, I'm trying to whittle it down. I've been having "performance issues" and I have no doubt it's related to the ever shrinking HD space. Right now a new computer is not in the financial cards. Confused
0 Replies