How to get a good lawyer, cheap and quick?

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:31 pm
Over in this thread

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19068&start=120

I have been encouraged to see a lawyer to help me cover my buns adequately in a bad situation I'm trying to get out of. Two things though, a) I'd like to move fast, and b) I don't have much cash.

Would like this to be in the Chicago area.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

(P.S., while I'd love it if joefromchicago stops by, this isn't a solicitation of his services.) (No comments from peanut gallery types.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,149 • Replies: 12
No top replies

mikey

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:42 pm
www.nlg.org

it worked for me. great lawyer cheap.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:47 pm
Cool, thanks!

Can you direct me to the pertinent part? Sorry to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I haven't found what would take me to finding a cheap good lawyer in my area, quick, yet.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 10:54 pm
Surely a city the size of Chicago has a legal aid department. And in a city that size, there will be a lot of high-cost firms that are looking to do pro-bono work. Why not try getting in contact with the legal aid department, and asking them? Or is there some kind of legal referral service? Silly question, I'm sure you've done it, but have you checked the yellow pages?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 11:19 pm
The cheap and quick part is what is operative, for me. (I'd like to have this taken care of by next Wednesday.) I can look in the yellow pages, but I thought there might be an online resource that had more specifics. (Yellow pages don't say much about the cheap and quick part.)

Thanks for the suggestions, tho!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 12:08 am
I guess my first step would be to solicit advice from joefromchicago. He just may know someone. Also, the member called something like gadgetaddict (frequents the web design forum) at one time offered free advice, in return for the assistance he had received here.

Anyway, can't hurt - might help.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 12:32 am
Too bad you're not in the Boston areola.

My boys could hook you up. Ever see the SNL skit with Tracey Morgan? "We'll git' you yo money! Don't axe how we git it...we git it."

Kind of like that.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 01:23 am
A few Web resources:

www.legalmatch.com

www.lawyersforless.com

www.lawoffer.com
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 01:48 am
Good luck with whatever it is, Soz!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 11:25 am
Btw "whatever it is" is on the thread I linked; just trying to find the best wording for resigning from a possibly financially complicated committee.

Thanks Slappy! :-) Ya know, they can just git the money and then send it -- that'd be cool...

Roger, yeah, I plan to ask joe if he doesn't mosey over here himself.

Thanks for the links, Craven!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 12:10 pm
This site hosts a so-called 'Portal' with more than two sites of law-related links :wink:
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 04:50 pm
Sozobe: Sorry for the late response: I just noticed this thread. Next time you need to send up the bat signal (or just PM me).

I'd check out the lawyer referral service at the Chicago Bar Association. They also have a "call-a-lawyer" service: the next opportunity is on March 20. If this doesn't help, let me know.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 09:15 pm
Hmmm, I'd want the advice by March 17th. (Though it doesn't have anything in particular to do with St. Patrick's day...)

The Chicago Bar Association link looks promising, thanks!
0 Replies