Cautionary story re. Spybot

kev

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 02:40 pm
About a year ago I installed Spybot, immediately I started to have all kinds of problems and the result was that my son had to re-install windows for me.

I had no real reason to suspect that it was spybots fault but after re installation I decided "better the devil you know" so I stayed with adaware. For 12 months no problems.

Yesterday having seen glowing reports about spybot, and with past experience in the dim and distant past, I installed spybot again, ran it once and BAM system is not working again.

See post below this (pixel problem) again my son repaired problem, but I was out when he called so I haven't been able to ask him about it yet.

Once- coincidence, twice - I dont think so, I'd be glad to have the opinions of resident experts.

Meantime, if you are a novice like me I would be very wary of installing spybot
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 745 • Replies: 2
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 05:20 pm
I think there must be something else wrong with your computer. I'll be back!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:20 am
Open Spybot again, in Advanced Mode, then select "Restore", and you'll undo everything SpyBot changed. Then, read the documentation that comes with the program, and, before you "fix" anythinng else with it after your next scan, examine each item carefully before you trash it. Leave anything you're unsure of, and copy-and-paste the list of your uncertainties here. Somebody'll take a look at it, and prolly weed out the ones that will get you into trouble.
0 Replies