[closed]Error: No post mode specified

margo

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:36 pm
I keep getting this reponse when I try to post on this thread, using IE as my browser:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10753&

If I use Opera as my browser, I get:

"Connection closed by remote server" when I try to post.

I can call up threads, but can't post - and yes, I am logged in!

Is this an inbuilt censor system to eliminate my ravings? Confused

Help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,523 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:38 pm
Well, it worked this time.

Let me know if it continues, otherwise I'm writing this off as a typical transitive issue being reported as a problem.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:48 pm
Craven
I just tried to post again and got exactly the same error in IE.

Didn't try Opera.

m
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:50 pm
Then how are you posting here?

The error you describe is common. It can mean your ISP is causing problems.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:51 pm
I saw this exact same error about a week ago, but only saw it once.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:53 pm
I can post on other threads (and still am) = but can't post on that thread.

Just tried posting using Opera, too, and got the same error there.
"Connection closed by remote server"
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:55 pm
Clear your cache.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:56 pm
What!?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:59 pm
Nevermind, someone else can explain it. The problem isn't on A2K's end (which is why this is marked closed).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 02:01 pm
Actually, if you just do to the thread without using any of your links it should be fine. The link you provided above is incorrect (but still works).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 03:40 pm
I've been getting that error every now and then. Doesn't seem to be related to whether or not my cache has been cleared. Usually in the evening (EST), not so often in the mornings.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 08:15 pm
Craven
Thanks for your help!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 08:57 pm
You are welcome.

Sometimes it gets tedious when people expect me to solve things that I have no control over and who become agitated with me because of things that involve typical internet activity that they don't understand and are frustrated about, but I can't say it is a thankless chore now.

I checked everything that I could check on my end. It is working. Alert users would have caught me going to that very thread and posting "test" on it several times.

They couldn't have noticed when I went to optimize the database. That was another thing I did.

I also went over logs to see if there is anything there that might indicate a problem.

I found nothing. And I was at work (real job, ya know) and had to, well actually work.

I don't think the technical explanation makes any difference to you and I think that ultimately you just want it to work but I'll now explain why it's out of my control:

The "no post mode specified" error happens when the "mode" variable in posting is not set.

For example, the post page for this thread is:

posting.php?mode=reply&t=20430

The posting page handles many different types of actions. A post to a thread is one mode, quoting or editing are other modes.

When the page does not receive the variable for "mode" it gives that error.

Try it:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/posting.php?mode=NOT_A_REAL_MODE&t=20430

It won't work. That is not a defined variable in the array.

It will give the same error.

Now all the posting works off the same file, so your ability to post here indicates to me that you can, in fact, post to Able2Know.

So what can cause a specific thread to do this?

I do not know. It works perfectly for me.

What I guess at is that you have a faulty URL for some reason. And that if you simply surf to it using the URLs that the forum software provides it will work perfectly.

Or perhaps you have the posting page cached but with an error.

I do not know. I can only guess, from halfway around the world.

Your information about opera is a different one altogether.

That simply indicates that the internet connection was lost. This is common on the internet and also beyond my control.

Perhaps connectivity issues prevented you from posting and if you try again all will be well.

Again, I just can't know.

If it is either of the things I describe it should work in subsequent attempts.

Now I know it'd be nice if stuff just worked. But you are not tossing me an easy problem. There are things that happen on the net that I can't solve.

Sometimes things are beyond my control.

I spend a good deal of time investigating this problem of yours during my lunch hour.

Did you try (or even investigate) anything I recomended (like getting a fresh URL for the thread)?

I know that all you want if for me to magically make it right. And I'm sorry, but due to the nature of the problem you presented I can't do that.

What I have control over is working just fine.

Could you try to post again? Because if all this is about a transitive problem (as I suspect) then it's just a matter of a bit of patience till it works.

What I control I fix when it's broken. What is out of my control I can only make a best effort at.

You need to help me resolve your problem. It is working when I do it and across the world it's not working for you. This isn't one of those times I can snap my fingers.

Try it again for one. Don't use any saved URLs and navigate to the thread through the board. Let me know if it is working.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 09:48 pm
actually it was me, been trying to keep all those aussies off this site using margo as a test subject. now craven's gone and told her how to get back on.

there's no sense to keep on trying with cdk helping out, like i always say to my kids, if at first you don't suceed, quit.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:52 am
Thanks Craven - I will try when I get home - no chance to do anything at work today Sad

They expected me to WORK. (da noive!)

And the thing I was trying to post is on my home machine.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 10:12 am
margo wrote:
They expected me to WORK. (da noive!)

They do this to me all the time. I am of a mind to issue an ultimatum. If this continues I might just quit.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:47 pm
Smile me, too. Interfering so&so's!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 04:37 pm
I just got that error right now BTW. Pressed back and submitted and it went away (as usual).

If it's persistent for you it must be a mangled URL or a improperly cached page.

Please keep me posted.
0 Replies