Pedometers !! !! !! !! - Lighting a fire under ya butt...

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 08:28 am
I just bought a pedometer, and I am amazed at how it keeps me active. such a small thing does such a big job.

I've been wearing the thing all morning to see how many steps I can take. It's causing me to take the long way around everywhere i go. I think it's awesome...

Do you have a pedometer? Does it make you want to get up and go?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,561 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 08:35 am
Oynxelle--

Have you seen:

http://www.americaonthemove.org/default.asp?sid=116&bhcp=1

I have a shorter stride than most pedometers measure--and I'm tempermentally inclined to regard them as a nag rather than as an inspiration. Whoever said we were all alike.....made a major error.

Are your girls counting steps with you? A little fatigue at beddy-bye time is very useful.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 08:46 am
this pedometer allows you to adjust it to your own stride ;-)

no..they're not...maybe i should get them one also...and set it for them.. they'd love it i'm sure.

i'll probably get ragged for this one, but i bought it walmart, so it was not expensive (5.50)....and it sets itself to your stride (or rather, you set it to your stride)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 08:54 am
Onyxelle, shhhh, I won't tell.

Does it display the number of miles or just the number of steps? For me, it sounds great--a way to get over the, "Well, I walked all the way across the parking lot today," feeling all righteous for having gone a few extra steps!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 09:22 am
My legs are long, but my stride is short--and pedometers can't be set that far down. Of course pedometers may have changed in the last quarter century.

Right now I'm on crutches again and limited to non-weight bearing exercise. Off to the bicycle, peddling to nowhere.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 09:50 am
diane - it does indeed display the miles (or the kilometers) your choice.

noddy: it allows you to set you stride anywhere from 1 to 60 inches. Or in centimeters.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 10:15 am
Onyxelle--

Good news! The world keeps making improvements while I'm not looking.

Eat less--move more. The basics don't change.

Suggestions for improving the world:

You leave a bakery having resisted the allure of at least 3500 calories--and one pound of fat peels right off your hips/thighs/gut/....

Every day you ignore the bag of potato ships in the kitchen you lose at least a quarter of a pound.

Good intentions would burn as many calories as actual good efforts.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 10:18 am
:-D Gonna move this to Sports & Fitness. And possibly check into one o' them newfangled pedometer thingies.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 10:21 am
I have one. It inspires me to leave it at home. Since my stride varies depending on how I feel and the type of terrain, I have never gotten the blessed thing calibrated correctly. I suppose it would count steps alright, but that's not what I care about.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:39 am
Roger--

The America on the Move site figures that walking 2000 steps a day (while not increasing calories) will peel off pounds--slowly, slowly, but they eventually vanish.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:15 pm
Cool Onyx, I say use what ever works. I'm curious, how much have you walked now?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:06 pm
well, this is my first day, and i've been using it since 7:30 this morning, and keep in mind i'm just at work...so far i've gone 1.9 miles and 4049 steps
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:34 pm
"Pedo" means fart in Spanish, so you may imagine my first reaction when I saw the title of this thread.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:47 pm
ugh lol
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 02:02 pm
LOL!

Mine just broke...dammit!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 02:26 pm
Ditto roger. I had one, but never felt confident that it was giving me an accurate measurement. This was when I was running a lot and like most runners, a wee bit obsessive about how much mileage I was doing.

A friend of mine has a handheld GPS that gives distances. It's accurate and fulfills the desire for techno-toys. I want a GPS-equipped watch, but they go for $175 (US) and up. Can't justify that to the Chief Financial Officer in my house.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 08:55 pm
I considered GPS, but you're still going to get just the distance as the crow flies, aren't you. I'm saving for doppler radar.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 08:08 am
roger~
The GPS updates distance periodically (don't know the interval, but it is small) so you get pretty fair accuracy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 09:10 am
Hey, cool! Now, work on the price for me, George?
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 10:16 am
...ah, there's the rub...
0 Replies