Plato, Kafka or Kazantzakis?

Angst

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 04:49 am
"By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired"

Who said that? Now, I know Kazantzakis wrote it in "Report to Greco" (p. 434), but searching the internet both Plato and Kafka are mentioned. But no one seems to be able to present the origin or source. Help, anyone!?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,323 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 07:50 am
@Angst,
I'm seeing places where, if it's attributed to Kafka, it's supplemented with a crack about "a chimney's sweep's Saturday night." To my mind, that doesn't make any sense, as I doubt Kafka gave a damn. A few searches inside complete works of Kafka books (keep in mind these are translations, so you need to look in a few of 'em) for the term chimney sweep comes up dry.

Sounds too depressing to be Plato. Perhaps it's neither - there's tons of junk online attributed to this, that or the other author in order to try to give it some sort of perceived cachet.

I'd check a library if I were you.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 10:26 am
I'd say it's Plato.

Just googling Plato, passion, knowledge, I found such quotes as:

"Plato's third analysis is that true belief accompanied by a rational account is knowledge, whereas true belief unaccompanied by a rational account is distinct from knowledge."
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 12:33 am
@Angst,
Angst wrote:

"By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired"

Who said that? Now, I know Kazantzakis wrote it in "Report to Greco" (p. 434), but searching the internet both Plato and Kafka are mentioned. But no one seems to be able to present the origin or source. Help, anyone!?

It is definitely not Plato or Kafka. Can't say whether it is original to Kazantzakis, or not.
0 Replies