Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 09:52 am
I have a question on a few things that are in this section. Four items which I am not sure if I need them or not, since I am not sure what they are. Here's the List: DAO 3.5 IMBUM Twain-Tech and Web Helper Please tell me if these are suppose to be on my computer or not. I don't want to delete or anything and mess it up. Thanks for all the help everyone!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,463 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Monger

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:14 am
DAO (Data Access Objects) - This is an object model used by developers to programmatically access data from a number of databases including Microsoft Jet. Most people don't even know they are using it, but if you have Visual Basic or Microsoft Access database programs on your PC, it is quite likely that you need DAO.

IMBUM - I have not used their AIM addon software but their site is unbearable--way too many popups and they try to get you to spam your all your friends. I'd recommend removing this software.

Twain-Tech - This is ad-serving software. I'd recommend removing this one as well. Twain-tech lists uninstall procedures here: www.twain-tech.com/uninstall.htm

WEb Helper - Don't know about this one.
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:16 am
Monger thank you so much for the info!!! I believe this will also help cut down on all those stupid pop-ups I get too. Thanks so much.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:51 am
I'm not sure, but I think Web Helper is either an AOL or a Netscape deal. Since I have no use for either, I'd just delete it ... but if you use AOL or Netscape, you might wanna do a bit more research first before trashing it. In general, its title alone makes me suspicious. Besides, if anything you don't specifically know about and want appears in Add/Remove programs, you prolly don't want it.
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:12 pm
Thanks again Timberland. I deleted it and nothing much happened so I guess it wasn't needed.
0 Replies

webhelper

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 12:11 am
IMBUM - Stay clear of their sites
Monger wrote:
DAO (Data Access Objects) - This is an object model used by developers to programmatically access data from a number of databases including Microsoft Jet. Most people don't even know they are using it, but if you have Visual Basic or Microsoft Access database programs on your PC, it is quite likely that you need DAO.

IMBUM - I have not used their AIM addon software but their site is unbearable--way too many popups and they try to get you to spam your all your friends. I'd recommend removing this software.

Twain-Tech - This is ad-serving software. I'd recommend removing this one as well. Twain-tech lists uninstall procedures here: www.twain-tech.com/uninstall.htm

WEb Helper - Don't know about this one.

IMBUM is owned by Scott Richter who rated the #3 King of of SPAM! All his sites that are adult related have an Under 18 link to the IMBUM site.

This site opens other sites of his and all popup about 3 different windows and msg box's trying to get you to install NetPalOffers which will automatically install the Bi Transponder variant and also later abetterinternet when the Bi.dll transmits it will install its updated version the twaintech.dll along with the rest of the components. If you have installed anything from IMBUM (which also is known to install from Nictech Networks bundleware) you also could well have over 6 to 12 other types of adware installed as well. If you donot get rid of NetPal Favoriteman, when it transmits to its controlling server that has a configuration file it checks, it will reinstall any missing adware it doesn't find installed. I don't know about other detection software, but when I test the Installs my self I use ad aware to detect and remove all.

I would give you a link to my site with the complete details but I just signed up here and I read where you are not supposed to give that info out.

Webhelper
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 11:27 am
Thanks Webhelper. I use ad aware and I don't remember ever doing anything with the IMBUM. I have gotten rid of it though. Thanks for the info.
0 Replies