Adaware/Spybot help req please

kev

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:51 am
I've had adaware for some time and have just downloaded spybot, and my question was going to be simply this, do I uninstall adaware or do they live happily together?

Now, however, the question becomes twofold because I ran spybot and it found 67 nasties which I deleted.

I then (immediately) ran adaware and it found 25 "tracking" nasties, so I'm a bit baffled.

Well, a bit more baffled than usual I should say.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 719 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 09:36 am
The two can coexist on the same machine. It should be noted, and is mentioned in Spybot's documentation, that they will "Find" false positives within one another. As far as "Tracking Nasties" go, check out the detail on them; I suspect most are specific to your machine and configuration, and have nothing whatsoever to do with web exploits. Many applications keep a running most-recently-used-files, and, of course, your browser's page and URL caches are just such "tracks". If you have and use a constantly up-to-date security suite including firewall, anti-virus, and adware blocking, you will be relatively safe, provided you also keep your OS up-to-date, and use proper discretion when it comes to accepting and opening files and attachments.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:41 pm
Currently, I think Adaware is better than Spybot. When I run Spybot first, I get 'leftovers' that Adaware cleans. When I run Adaware first, Spybot doesn't pick anything up. But who knows how long this will last? Spybot could once again pick up more than Adaware. Before Adaware 6, this was the case.

The only time I got false positives with Adaware (picking up Spybot's stuff) was on a deep scan. So if you don't deep scan, it shouldn't happen.
0 Replies