E-mail Concerns - Recent Happenings

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:18 pm
Today, I received three messages in those symbols that indicate another language. A small box MS pops up with an OK to click. That's all that works. After four or five clicks, the message loads and I delete. Anyone know what I am okaying?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,257 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:24 pm
Bermbits- What is a "box MS", and where is this happening?

My attitude is on E Mail is the same as on snail mail. If I don't know the person, I am not interested in hearing from whomever sends me something. My credo is, when in doubt, "delete"!
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:27 pm
I couldn't delete it! It just dings. It's a small Microsoft box with an OK that pops up.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:33 pm
Beats me. Maybe one of the computer gurus on the site have some ideas!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:45 pm
I'd advise you to run an anti-virus program . . . have you been off-line since you received this mail?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 04:00 pm
The only safe thing that could be happening that I can think of is the pop up box is one telling you that you don't have the right language fonts installed. I've had that happen on a few and the pop-up dies after figuring out that I don't have the right disc installed to install the drivers either.

I sure wouldn't recommend clicking on any box that didn't specifically tell me that though. The e-mails could have almost anything attached and you could be installing a virus or trojan on your machine by clicking the box.

You should be able to kill the pop-up by using the ALT-CTRL-DEL keys and opening the list of running programs. You can kill the pop-up there.

Anti-virus programs are a must. Make sure you update on a regular basis (like weekly!) too.
0 Replies