Catfish Hunt Pigeons on Dry Land

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 01:47 pm
In an unusual development that researchers are calling evidence of adaptive behavior, some catfish have taken to jumping on land to hunt live pigeons.
Discover Magazine's Ed Yong writes, "These particular catfish have taken to lunging out of the water, grabbing a pigeon, and then wriggling back into the water to swallow their prey. In the process, they temporarily strand themselves on land for a few seconds."
Researchers captured video of the European catfish, which reside in the River Tarn in southwestern France. In the footage, several of the fish, which range in length from 3 to nearly 5 feet, are seen thrusting their bodies from the shallow banks onto land where they capture pigeons and drag them back into the water.
Some dolphins and killer whales have exhibited similar behavior, though both are mammals and better equipped to survive on land for brief periods of time.
Still, Julien Cucherousset from Paul Sabatier University in Toulouse has taken to describing the catfish as "freshwater killer whales."
The study results were published in the scientific journal Plos One.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/catfish-learning-hunt-pigeons-land-video-231659764.html
see video on link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,463 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 01:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wow. And I've just seen a video of what I think is a barracuda leaping out of the water and grabbing a dog from a wharf, much to the horror of its owner.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 04:06 pm
@dlowan,
I saw that video somewhere. I think on network news.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 05:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
The next great monster movie will be devised from this article. Mark my words! Very Happy
farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
Itll be a giant nuclear derived mutant pigeon eating European Bull head Catfish.
0 Replies