ZULU !

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:10 am
Our local NPR station had a trivia quiz today, and i called in the answers to a couple of questions, including "who played Lt. Bromhead in Zulu!?" The answer is Michael Caine. I heard Caine in an interview saying that he had been cast by mistake, as it was then believed that he hadn't the "class" to play the role. I personally think he played the role to the hilt.

In the 1870's, the British were reluctantly expanding their control of South Africa. By that, i mean the Parliament were less than enthused, but, absent specific dissent, went along with urging of members with connections to the British in the colony. The idea was to "confederate" South Africa. It was decided in 1878 to break the power of the Zulus, then ruled by Cetewayo. The British showed a good deal of hubris, invading KwaZulu (a.k.a., Zululand) in several columns. The Zulu were organized for warfare as few tribal societies ever have been. The warriors lived in separate cantonments, with their wives and families (marriage was a privilege granted only to proven warriors), and they were organized into regiments, which trained their tactical movements, and routinely engaged in "war games." Cetewayo had ordered the regiments to send the women and children to the capital, and be prepared to move out, before the British were more than two days out of their assembly areas.

In January, 1879, Lord Chelmsford's columns were separated to the extent that they could not have supported one another without a march of a day or more. At Rorke's Drift, a force at about company strength of the 2nd battalion, 24th Foot (then the 2nd Warwickshire, later the South Wales Borderers) was guarding a temporary supply depot, and providing laborers to Lt. Chard of the Royal Engineers. The company was in the command of Lt. Bromhead. On the morning of January 22d, Major Spalding of the 104th regiment left Rorke's Drift, leaving Bromhead in charge, although he was outranked by Lt. Chard, and graciously left the command to him.

On that same morning, the AmaZulus, following the tactical doctrine which Cetewayo had laid down, caught the northern-most British column of about 1700 men in the open and on the move at Islandhwana. The commander of the column had ignored warnings from the Natal Native (meaning African-born white men--Boers) Force, which had constantly been warning Lord Chelmsford and the column commanders that the AmaZulu were coming in force, and that they were disciplined, capable warriors, not to be underrated. Fewer than four hundred survived this attack, and of these, fewer than one hundred were Europeans.

Cetewayo had specifically forbidden his regiments to attack the British in intrenched positions, knowing his forces would be most effective in the open, and would suffer unacceptable casualties from British fire power if they attacked dug-in troops. One of Cetewayo's brothers (don't recall the name) is reported to have wished to show his prowess, and, taking his regiment past Islandhwana, to avoid them leaving ranks to loot, he made a military decision which would have been sound, if he could have pulled it off. He decided to attack Rorke's Drift, despite his father's prohibition on attacking dug-in positions. The AmaZulu had few firearms, and little knowledge of their use. It is said that many stragglers from Islandhwana came in with rifles looted on the battlefield, but their lack of expertise simply made them targets for the Welsh. Largely, the AmaZulu depended upon the disciplined charge of their warriors in ranks, using the assagai, a short-handled spear with a long, sword-like blade, very similar to the weapon the ancient Germans had used against the Romans. Although rife with totally fictional dramatic devices (the missionary and his daugher being the most egregious), the movie Zulu! is, by motion picture standards, a good account of the course of the battle. More Victoria Crosses were awarded as a result of this action than any single regiment had ever won in an engagement. A Swiss volunteer, Christian Schiess, was the first foreigner to win the award. Taking nothing away from the courage of the Welsh, it has been said that the large award of VC's was a political move to cover the shame of the disaster at Islandhwana. That battle apparently lead Chelmsford to "smell the coffee," and, having taken the true measure of the AmaZulu, he concentrated his forces, and made short work of the Zulu War thereafter (it is also known as the Ninth Kaffir War, but the term kaffir is considered insulting by black Africans, and will likely fade from history books).

So, goys and birls, what are your favorite war movies? Please use this thread to discuss that movie genre.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,824 • Replies: 17
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 05:38 am
My faves are in the subgenre of escape films, generally those set in WWII. There's a lot of creativity involved and they tend not to be too violent so they're easier for me to take. Hence, The Great Escape, The Wooden Horse, Stalag 17 and Von Ryan's Express are all faves. Heck, I even like Victory (Michael Caine again), even though it is pretty farfetched and silly.

PS I love the film Zulu; it was recently on TV and I saw it again for the first time since High School. It's still a very powerful film.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 06:10 am
Setanta

There was a television mini-series (I think) titled Shaka Zulu[/b] -- which was absoluely spectacular -- and in my opinion was much, much better than the film.

Because they had over 10 hours to tell their story, the mini-series writers were able to develop their characters much more completely than the movie writers -- and they were able to focus on the Zulu, rather than the Europeans.

Hope you got a chance to see it -- and if you didn't, rent it and view it.

You will not be sorry.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 09:28 am
Thanks Frank, i'll check it out.

Jespah, in the movie quizz on the radio station yesterday, they said that The Great Escape was Steve McQueen's motion picture debut. I've always loved that film--the commentator said McQueen basically played himself.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:18 am
I believe Steve McQueen's motion picture debut was the much earlier "The Blob". Hey, everybody's gotta start somewhere.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:20 am
You know, George, i believe you're right . . . damn, i wish i'd thought of that during the call-in show yesterday . . .
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:24 am
http://www.movieactors.com/photos-sf/theblob.jpeg
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:01 am
The greatest war film?
For me it's "Paths of Glory."
Kubrick was a god.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:28 am
Fraqnks right about Shaka Zulu. it was, I believe, a s African production and attempted to follow King Shakas life ,his leadership, and his cruelty .

My favorie war films are the epics patton, Tora tora Tora, Longest day, The young Lions. I dont like any of the civil War movies especially the made for tv ones which hustle history like a commodity for marketing toothpaste.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:40 am
FM, there is one "civil war film" you might enjoy: John Huston's classic portrayal of Crane's The Red Badge of Courage, with Audie Murphy as The Youth, and Bill Mauldin as The Loud Soldier. In many respects, it's typical Hollywood (the battlefield looks like southern California), but it is a well-done filming of Crane's novel, and who better than Audie Murphy in the lead. I think you'd enjoy it.

Joe, i think you need to contact Haiku Anonymous . . .
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:54 pm
The beginning of "Saving Private Ryan" has to be the most realistic. I don't think I could watch it again. One of the first things I did afterward was to warn my uncle (who was at D-Day) not to go see it.

My favorite is "Twelve O'Clock High." Excellent study of the burdens of command.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 01:18 pm
i saw the Red Badge that was produced for Basic cable (Bravo network I believe) john thomas of The Waltons , not so good. Ive never seen the audie murphy one. i shall put out a call to my friends who collect videos of old movies.

i can recall the WORST war movie. It was a Cold War special with Jimmie stewart , Strategic AIr Command. Oy, 2 hours of watching these guys in an aerial equivalent of a phone booth and June Allison (an actress who has , mercifully, died) Jimmie flew a plane that was before the B-52 (49 i think) . i remember watching this pile of grass clippings when I was really small. I knew my powers of cinematic critique were well developed even then.

Does 'The Russians ARe Coming ' qualify?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 01:55 pm
They were B36's -- and I was serving in SAC at the time, so I HAD to like it. I'd be court martialed if I didn't.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 06:10 am
Ah, The Blob. :-D

Hmm, yeah, why can't Hollywood either get the Civil War right or at least leave the history the heck alone? It's compelling as it is, thank you very much. No need to jazz it up.

Glory is a decent film, though and so was a made-for TV film with Armand Assante called The Hundley. For me, that's pretty much it for decent Civil War pics. I'll have to look into The Red Badge of Courage.

There's also M*A*S*H and Catch-22.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 03:58 pm
sorry Frank, but I remeber a long boring movie with absolutely no plot, and june allison.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 08:06 pm
farmerman wrote:
sorry Frank, but I remeber a long boring movie with absolutely no plot, and june allison.

Yeah, me too.

But I would not even THINK that thought while Curtis LeMay was alive.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 08:08 pm
All SAC people have heard this story, but...

Imagine Gen. LeMay beneath the wing of a SAC bomber smoking his ever present cigar while it is being refueled:

One Airman to another: Doesn't he know that plane could explode because of that cigar.

Second Airman: It wouldn't dare!
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 10:06 pm
What's your favorite war movie? For some years I'v answered that one with Zulu. When I first saw the movie I thought it looked like something that might really happen. Then I found out that it did happen somewhat as depicted.

One thing I like is that it was made before special effects came into use.

I thought Michael Cane was spectacular.

My second favorite, if indeed it can qualify as a war movie, is Dr. Strangelove.

The only movie from which I have vivid memories of June Allison is The Three Musketeers which stared Gene Kelly. Allison had nice eyes. My high school literature teacher got us time off from school one afternoon and took the whole class to that movie. I do not recall that the experience turned me into an avid reader of novels, but I did pick up a taste for the Hollywood sword fight.
0 Replies