Agnostics: Do you believe in god?

gozmo

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 05:00 pm
Oh! A Dwarf! Now that makes a difference.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 05:04 pm
kickycan wrote:
So would it be true that when it comes to belief in god, the agnostic point of view becomes irrelevant to both atheists and believers, because belief, faith, whatever you want to call it, has nothing to do with knowledge. God is outside the scope of knowledge, yet you choose to believe or not. Agnosticism has to do with knowledge, and nothing more or less than that.

It depends on what your view of acceptable levels of probability are.

For example, Frank is completely correct to say that I do not know whether there is a god. Despite what he says I doubt he can find one instance where I say that I "know" there are no gods.

I also do not know whether there is an invidible dwarf on my shoulder.

In short, it's impossible to "know" anything. What we assert that we "know" is just a degree of probability that we consider close enough to certainty.

My position is similar to gozmo's, he calls himself agnostic.

I don't know whether there is a god or not. Neither does he.

I doubt that there is a god, so does he.

I simply doubt it to the degree that I do not think it necessary to express as much doubt that there is no god.

When I say: "I'll see you tonight" I also do now "know" whether I'll see the person that night.

It's an accessment of degree of probability.

IMO, the difference between an agnostic position and an atheist position is largely in a perceived difference in the degree of probability about the existence of gods.

Theists on the other hand have an element of inherent fait. The evidence that leads them to believe can only be seen if they believe. Which is circular.

Some theists do not rely on the loop and they see evidence that is, to them, indicative of the likelihood of gods existence. But religions generally frown severely on doubt and tout faith.

While I'd say that agnostics and atheists simply see a different degree of probablity about god's existence I'd say that most theists (not all) are saying that if they believe it they will see it, as opposed to the converse.

As such I think your distinction isn't adequate. It's about different opinions given the knowledge at hand.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 05:05 pm
kickycan wrote:
So would it be true that when it comes to belief in god, the agnostic point of view becomes irrelevant to both atheists and believers, because belief, faith, whatever you want to call it, has nothing to do with knowledge. God is outside the scope of knowledge, yet you choose to believe or not. Agnosticism has to do with knowledge, and nothing more or less than that.

Yes, agnosticism is about not knowing not about belief. I think it possible to be inclined to a belief but agnostic. I thought your question alluded to a similar view.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 05:34 pm
Yup.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 05:53 pm
Re: Agnostics: Do you believe in god?
kickycan wrote:
I'm kind of wondering about this agnostic idea. I guess if you say you are agnostic, you are basically saying you don't know if there is a god or not. But believing is different than knowing something. Just because you don't know something doesn't mean you can't have a feeling one way or the other.

For example, if I asked you whether the Yankees are going to win the pennant this year, you obviously can't know that, but you might think that they will, based on what you see in spring training. (I personally believe that they will, but I digress).

And I believe that everyone has some opinion, some feeling on whether god exists or not, whether or not it can be proven.

So I'm asking the agnostics: If you had to guess one way or the other, would you say that God exists, or not?

An agnostic, by defintion, cannot rationally believe or disbelieve in God.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 06:02 pm
But they can, irrationally, have an opinion one way or the other. That is what I was asking for. I don't think that being agnostic precludes having an opinion, or a feeling, one way or the other.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 06:09 pm
That feeling would be an irrational one, and therefore, meaningless.

Why not just flip a coin?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 06:31 pm
Well, what I was really trying to get at was my feeling that a lot of agnostics really lean more towards the idea that god does not exist, although it can't be proven.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 06:39 pm
This is where I part with fresco and JLNobodyabsencedoes exist that is not
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 06:41 pm
Frank wrote:

Quote:
An agnostic does not know -- is willing to acknowledge that he/she does not know -- and is unwilling to make guesses based on the kinds of stuff theists and atheists are willing to make guesses.

False.

Many agnostics make guesses acknowledged as guesses, and continue to hold that they do not know whether or not any gods exist. Which is a fine position.

IronLionZion wrote:

Quote:
An agnostic, by defintion, cannot rationally believe or disbelieve in God.

If one can relationally believe or not believe in anything they can do so about gods as well.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 06:49 pm
twyvel wrote:
Frank wrote:

Quote:
An agnostic does not know -- is willing to acknowledge that he/she does not know -- and is unwilling to make guesses based on the kinds of stuff theists and atheists are willing to make guesses.

False.

Many agnostics make guesses acknowledged as guesses, and continue to hold that they do not know whether or not any gods exist. Which is a fine position.

There certainly are agnostic atheists and agnostic theists. But agnostics who identify themselves as agnostics, by and large, refrain from making guesses either way.

But you are correct that an agnostic could easily CHOOSE to make a guess -- and many of them do.

I stand corrected -- although when I discuss this area with agnostics who do choose to guess one way or another, I find the evidence upon which they base their geuss to be wanting.

And as you pointed out, I like to think that most agnostics would identify the guess as a guess rather than try to cloud the issue by using the words "I believe..."

One other thing that I usually mention but neglected to do so here. I do not speak for all agnostics -- and most agnostics would kick my ass with gusto if they thought I was attempting that.

Mostly I am describing my own agnosticism -- with some observations about what I see most agnostics hold in relative agreement.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 07:08 pm
So Frank, would you care to take a guess, just for the fun of it? Smile
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 07:27 pm
kickycan, I consider myself to be an agnostic in that I do not know that a god of some sort may exist. On the other hand I am quite atheistic in regards to the abrahamic religions which to me are concoctions of man. I hold no value to the concept of a perpetual soul. When it is over it is over except in the thoughts of others.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 07:57 pm
kickycan wrote:
So Frank, would you care to take a guess, just for the fun of it? Smile

Not really! :wink:

But I will say that I agree with the substance of Mesquite's comments.

I've read the Bible.

MY GUESS is that the book is a (rather self-serving) history of the early Hebrew peoples with a fairly primitive theological mythology interspersed.

Almost none of it sounds as though it is the "word of" any god or God -- and almost all of it sounds like the kind of thing relatively unknowledgeable, relatively unsophisticated, superstitious ancient people might try to pass off as coming from a god.

If there is a God...MY GUESS is that the God is nothing at all like the god described in the Bible.

How'd I do?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:16 pm
kickycan wrote:
But Ossobuco is an atheist who believes in the concept of a god, but just doesn't believe that God itself exists.

I didn't say I believed in the concept, or didn't mean to.

I personally am devoid of belief in a deity. I can't help but observe that other humans have large numbers of deity constructions, sometimes held as firm beliefs, but that is the extent of my notice.

The reason I follow, to some extent, the religion topics is that I am rather interested in the effects of religion on people's actions - people's and peoples'. Plus, I generally like the individuals who post in the forum for their continued efforts to clarify and understand their and others' views.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:24 pm
twyvel wrote:
If one can relationally believe or not believe in anything they can do so about gods as well.

Do you mean 'rationally' or 'relationally.' If the latter, I don't know what you mean.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:40 pm
Frank, I am guessing that's as close as you ever get to an outright guess. I'd say you did fine. Thanks for playing. Smile

Ossobucco, I may have mistakenly assumed meaning that you didn't intend. Sorry 'bout that.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:49 pm
IronLionZion

Rationally, :wink:

As an agnostic one can hold many beliefs about gods and transcend realities or absolutes and at the same time maintain their agnosticism and continue to be equally agnostic about the actual existence or non-existence of any god(s) as those agnostics who choose not to make any guesses about such things.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:54 pm
And that, Twyvel, is what I was trying to say with my original post.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:54 pm
twyvel wrote:
IronLionZion

Rationally, :wink:

As an agnostic one can hold many beliefs about gods and transcend realities or absolutes and at the same time maintain their agnosticism and continue to be equally agnostic about the actual existence or non-existence of any god(s) as those agnostics who choose not to make any guesses about such things.

Agnostics recognize that knowing whether or not God exists is impossible. Therefore, if they believed or disbelieved in God's existance, it would be a belief based on something other than logic, rationality, evidence, etc, and as such would be irrational.
0 Replies