Switching file from old computer

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 12:55 am
I got a new computer a few weeks ago, and I had my old windows file copied onto my new one, since I had lost the disk. I also had Norton Utilities on my old computer, but no longer have the disk.. is there any way to extract the files from old computer onto new one? I tried burning a data disk, but it won't let me read it off of there.

Thanks Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,195 • Replies: 14
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 01:50 am
I don't know about Norton... but if your subsciption to McAfee is up to date you can download the software free from their website. I would guess the same would be true for Norton, but I don't know. Good Luck!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:03 am
If as Occom says you can download the setup program from Symantec, you'll be good to go. Otherwise you'll need the setup program.

Setup programs don't just copy files to your computer, they also make modifications to the Registry & often they'll add or update extensions to Windows.

That's why usually you can't just copy a program's folder from one hard drive to another & expect it to work.

Quote:
I got a new computer a few weeks ago, and I had my old windows file copied onto my new one, since I had lost the disk.

That's not entirely accurate. What likely happened is that whoever set it up for you used their own installation media. They did not just make an image of your hard drive & move that over, coz first of all, in many cases that wouldn't work unless your new PC is using the same hardware as your old one, and besides, if that was what they did you'd still have all your old programs.

..I'm just mentioning that to help clarify that it's usually not possible to "copy & paste" a program onto a new computer.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:09 am
As Occam says, if your subscription is current, you can download all you need from Norton/Symantec. That's one of the key benefits of registering software and maintaining subscriptions.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:07 am
In an irony Norton Utilities has a program to do precisely that: copy a program and registry entries from one computer to another.

So if you buy a copy of Norton Utilities you can copy Norton Utilities over. Mr. Green
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:45 pm
Use it all the time Mr. Green
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:05 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
In an irony Norton Utilities has a program to do precisely that: copy a program and registry entries from one computer to another.

So if you buy a copy of Norton Utilities you can copy Norton Utilities over. Mr. Green

Hmm, guess I'm out of touch with Norton Utilities. You're not referring to Norton Ghost right? Is the program you mention Norton Cleansweep, & if so does it need to already be running when you do a program installation on the first computer in order to later copy it another (I don't see how it would be possible if that wasn't the case)?

Anywho, I've got a copy of the software somewhere, I should install it & spend a few minutes with it sometime.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:25 am
Yeah, Cleansweep has to be running to record a program installation, Monger, but Ghost does give you an image of the drive, which with the proper preconfiguration and a little fiddling can be moved onto another machine. Not as easy as Intellimover, but workable.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:52 am
OK. I was aware of CleanSweep's program installation tracking but have only used it (a long time ago) to uninstall programs, not transfer them accross PCs.

Oh and I love Ghost, there are few days I don't use it on someone's computer. I'll frequently use it together with sysprep to create general purpose OS images...Having an array of presetup OS & application configurations ready to go on any machine is great. Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:41 am
I'm not sure if it's clean sweep. I don't use Norton Utilities anymore (I don't like it much).
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:18 pm
Okay, let me tell the truth... lol
Some guy installed his copy of Norton Utilities (WinDoctor, DiskDoctor etc..) on my old computer, can I get it to my new computer? lol
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:20 pm
Quick answer: No, unless he left a copy of the installation files on your hard drive.

But if you're willing to pirate software there are other places to find the installation files online (though I suspect you will not be able to get members of this board to help you do it).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:25 pm
hehehehe ... one of the thrills of pirated software is you can never be sure of what you've got untill it screws up ... and it usually does ... then, you're on your own for support. And, of course, without proper registration, most apps can't be updated or patched. You get what you pay for Mr. Green
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:03 pm
Monger wrote:
Quick answer: No, unless he left a copy of the installation files on your hard drive.

But if you're willing to pirate software there are other places to find the installation files online (though I suspect you will not be able to get members of this board to help you do it).

Don't be so hard on me!
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:04 pm
okay if you guys won't help me pirate software, where can I find someone who will

*winks* (joke)
0 Replies