New Movies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 09:43 am
I saw "Perks of Being a wallflower" and thought it was really wonderful. Very little pre-publicity out on it, however.

While "Silver Lining Playbook" has had all kinds of positive reviews and I thought, while it was good, it was not "excellent.'

I was real disappointed in Skyfall - even with all its hype and raves from the critics.

What movies have you seen lately?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 3,286 • Replies: 8
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 11:47 am
@PUNKEY,
I absolutely loved Skyfall. Went to the movie theater yesterday afternoon on my day off. Found the franchise recovered greatly after its really tepid Quantum of Solace stumble.

Javier Bardem portrays the most human/complicated of the Bond villains.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 08:40 pm
@PUNKEY,
I didn't like SkyFall much either. It was technically well done, but I just didn't feel into it. I think I'm just getting tired of all the James Bond stories, they are all basically the same.

The last good movie I saw at the theater was "Looper".
RST

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 08:43 pm
@rosborne979,
I agree, Looper, imho, was better than Sky Fall, and the last good movie I saw at the theater. Gordon-Levitt pulled of a young Bruce very well. An interesting take on free will.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 12:37 pm
"Javier Bardem portrays the most human/complicated of the Bond villains."

That's exactly it!! He was LIKEABLE - not a real Bond villan.

No hot babe either. No real connection between the two. No Bond seducing or romanticism. The shower scene was actually stupid.
0 Replies

Jamesdawn

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2012 01:15 am
@rosborne979,
I have also watched SkyFall movie. But don't like this movie. I love James Bond's movies just because of latest gadgets. But never saw gadgets in this movie.
bredwill

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 01:44 am
@Jamesdawn,
Life of pi is really nice movie.I give you advice to watch this movie.This is Oscar wining movie.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 02:47 pm
We've been enjoying matinees recently since it's too cold to get in the water...

I have LOVED a lot of these. "Cloud Atlas" is the neatest movie I've seen in a long time. It spans several eras - one or two are set in the future.... Tom Hnaks and Halle Berry have parts in each of them - but the thing I like - that sort of dovetails with my belief system - is how choices we make or things we do can travel like ripples into the lives of people in the future. I guess it's a no-brainer, but it was a sweet reminder to me of that - sort of like a Virginia Woolf stream of consciousness. The movie is long, but maybe as well-worth the time for someone else as it was for me.

Denzel's "Flight" had moments. Did seem to spend a lot of time glorifying alcoholism...with almost an afterthought of paying for it later added on to the final few minutes...but great laughing moments. Always love Denzel.

Did get some smiles from "Silver Lining Playbook."

I was worried we might have to walk out of "Django." I'm a Tarantinophile and so is my dude - but he seems to carry white guilt around like a harness, and he refused to see it for a week. I was going to go alone, but he acquiesced finally. Tarantino doesn't skimp on gore, but it doesn't bother ME much. If you don't like enormous gobs of "blood" shooting skyward 50 times in slo mo, you'll be fine. Set during slavery, so some wincing moments - and one harrowing death scene of a sweet character... I really liked the movie. My dude LOVED it. Ya nevah know. A few plodding moments around Leo DiCaprio's character - LOVED the German character/actor (Dr. Schultz): Pretty good for my money.
Lash

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 02:49 pm
@Lash,
"Rust and Bone" a nod but not an applause from this quarter.
0 Replies