How do I format a new hard drive?

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 01:58 pm
helping out a friend that had his shop computer lock up the hard drive. I took one outta one of my parts computers and switched it, but when it boots up, it goes to the blue screen of death and says it wants me to format the new drive.

little help...?

simple for stupid folks is best in this case.

I resemble that guy...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,550 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 02:06 pm
@Rockhead,
Which operating system?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 02:08 pm
@Butrflynet,
good question.

I'm not sure what his was.

I have several to choose from here...

windows 2000 is what shows up during the boot up.

(I think that was what the hard drive had on it, too)

it's been a while since that machine was whole and functional.

it lost it's power supply earlier in the fall for my main box...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 02:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here are two sites in relatively common English rather than techeze. These are both for XP.

http://lifehacker.com/157578/geek-to-live--how-to-format-your-hard-drive-and-install-windows-xp-from-scratch

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/format-hard-drive-xp.htm

At the bottom of the page of that second one on about.com there are how-to links for doing the same with various other operating systems.

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 02:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
I have to leave for a dr. appt., but will check back to see how you are doing when I return in a couple hours.

Hopefully, others will be around to help you before that.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 02:45 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

helping out a friend that had his shop computer lock up the hard drive.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Are you trying to restore his system from a backup, or create a fresh installation?

Windows 2000 is really, really old. It is no longer supported by Microsoft, and does not receive security updates.

I think your best option is to find the PC's original installation disks, and install a brand-new copy of Windows (which will also format the hard drive).
Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 02:56 pm
@DrewDad,
the goal is to have a functional machine with which to do internet searches and e-mail.

he's an old guy.

I use it as much as he does, I think.

I have a valid (non pirated) copy of XP.

can I put it on that machine without affecting my current home box running that same software?

I dunno if he got a disc, he prolly bought the computer used, or had it given to him.

in hindsight it looks as though I shoulda just put his power supply into my old box and turned him loose.

oh well...

I may just drop it by my computer guys and pick it up the next day for a fiddy.

my time is not free any longer...
DrewDad

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 03:03 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
I have a valid (non pirated) copy of XP.

can I put it on that machine without affecting my current home box running that same software?

Having a copy of the CD is not the same as having a license to run it on an additional computer.

If he was running XP originally, then I, personally, would not think it is ethically wrong to install another copy of XP. Usually, they allow you to activate each license code several times before they make you call and ask "pretty please."
Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 03:11 pm
@DrewDad,
I'll call him in a bit and ask him about his software situation.

he had an afternoon meeting.

I'm working in his shop this week on an engine warranty situation, and he asked if I could fix it while I was enjoying his heater and coffee. not to mention the lift and tool assortment.

he may have it all and not know it. I'll have him ask the boss when he gets home. she knows everything...

I don't wanna give up my additional installs unless I hafta.

I'm about due for an upgrade...
DrewDad

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 03:31 pm
@Rockhead,
A brand-new laptop from Sam's is about $300. Doesn't take too many of those $50 visits to add up to "throwing good money after bad."
Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 03:38 pm
@DrewDad,
which is part of the reason I have parts computers laying around...

I actually have another functional box, but I have kinda been hoping to use it in MY shop.

if he has operating software, I may try to go ahead and reformat this one for him.

I'll wait and see what he says...
parados

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 04:53 pm
@Rockhead,
If the system is Windows 2000 or later, there should be a sticker on the box showing the Operating system and the license number. (Assuming it was a purchased system with the OS already installed.) If it is a name brand computer and XP or later then you may need a disk from that manufacturer since they do licensing by reading a code on the motherboard.

The other option is to install linux on the box. If all he wants to do is online searches and email. Ubuntu is pretty easy to install these days. Very easy if you don't need a printer or any other peripheral like that.

Let us know what the OS is and the computer manufacturer. We might be able to help you find a copy of the disk if you don't have it.
0 Replies

DuncanJones

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 07:58 pm
@Rockhead,
Hello Friends,

To format an internal or external hard drive to use for backup or additional storage, the drive needs to be partitioned. Partitioning divides your drive into sections, but you can choose to simply have one partition (a single section encompassing the entire drive).
1. Click Start.
2. Right-click Computer, then click Manage. The "Computer Management" window will open.
3. In the left pane, click Disk Management (under Storage). If your disk is not initialized (as is sometimes the case with brand-new drives), you’ll be prompted to initialize it. If your disk is 2TB or more in size, select GPT; otherwise, stick with MBR.
A list of all connected disk drives is displayed in the center. Unpartitioned drives appear with solid black bars and the label "Unallocated." Partitioned drives appear with solid blue bars and a drive letter.
If your drive isn't partitioned, follow these instructions to partition it. Otherwise, skip down to the next section.
1. Right-click the black bar or the unallocated white space below it and select New Simple Volume… In this case, "Volume" is another term for "partition".
2. Click Next. To create a single, whole-drive partition, make sure the "Simple volume size in MB" value is the same as the "Maximum disk space in MB" value. Click Next.
3. Assign a drive letter of your choice. Click Next.
4. Select Format this volume. For File System, choose NTFS if you’ll be using the drive only with Windows machines. If you will be sharing the information on the drive with Macs, choose exFAT. Keep Allocation unit size at Default. Choose a name for the partition under Volume label. Do not select Perform a quick format or Enable file and folder compression. Click Next.
5. Confirm your selections and click Finish.
If your drive is already partitioned, follow these instructions.
1. Right-click the blue bar or the white space below it and select Format.
2. Choose a name for the partition under Volume label. For File System, choose NTFS if you’ll be using this drive only with Windows machines. If you will be sharing the information on this drive with Macs, choose exFAT. Keep Allocation unit size at Default. Do not select Perform a quick format or Enable file and folder compression. Click OK.
3. Confirm your choices.

Best Regards,
Duncan Jones
0 Replies

roseasp

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2012 12:16 am
@Rockhead,
1. Click Start.

2. Right-click Computer, then click Manage. The "Computer Management" window will open.

3. In the left pane, click Disk Management (under Storage). If your disk is not initialized (as is sometimes the case with brand-new drives), you’ll be prompted to initialize it. If your disk is 2TB or more in size, select GPT; otherwise, stick with MBR.
0 Replies