Lying in an argument...

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 06:23 am
I've noticed that some people will do anything to try and win an argument, even lie about the topic.

Have YOU ever lied during an argument, and if so, how can you justify that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 995 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 06:33 am
L.R.R.Hood- I would never say "never", "cause I really can't remember every argument that I have ever had. I would say though, that to me, reality is of prime importance. I have reached a stage in my life where I have no problem with saying that I was wrong, that I misunderstood, or that I plain screwed up. Therefore, there is no reason for me to lie.

On the flip side, I will not deal with people who lie to me. I will take a lot of
"garbage" from friends, but if I catch them in a lie, that's it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 06:49 am
Hmm - I think most of us exaggerate in an argument, at times.

I certainly tend to find myself adhering more strongly to a position when it is being contested than I do when it is being agreed with. I don't think this is dishonesty so much as a natural defence of a position thing - plus the fun of the duel, and the desire to test one's thoughts as far as they will go...
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 08:17 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

On the flip side, I will not deal with people who lie to me. I will take a lot of
"garbage" from friends, but if I catch them in a lie, that's it.

I'm the same way, completely. I mean, if someone lies about one thing, then it makes you wonder if and when they were ever being honest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:16 am
I would have to say that i would attempt to judge why the person concerned "lied." Inasmuch as this concerns someone ostensibly a friend, the "why" matters a great deal. Perhaps they meant to shield themselves or someone else from your anger--i would consider that justifiable, and cause to consider why i would be angry, and to consider that lying for such a purpose could indicate that i have a reputation for an ungovernable temper. Perhaps someone lied in such a circumstance from shame--might that not be the occasion to reassure your friend of your acceptance of them as they are, and not according to some arbitrary standard? Phoenix, as you said, never say never.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:40 am
You ask people around, here, and "lying" apparently covers being misinterpreted. And that has happened to me quite a bit...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:43 am
Allow me to play sad, sad music for ya, Boss . . . my heart goes out to you . . .
0 Replies