Who Pays

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 01:50 pm
I have a 22 year old If I put her back on my health care with my employer who pays for this my employer or both of us
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,010 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 06:03 pm
@imagine821,
The human resources department of your company should be able to give you a detailed answer for your company's health benefits package.

From my experience, most companies require the employee to contribute some (sometimes all) of the premiums for dependents added to their policy.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 06:03 pm
@imagine821,
The human resources department of your company should be able to give you a detailed answer for your company's health benefits package.

From my experience, most companies require the employee to contribute some (sometimes all) of the premiums for dependents added to their policy.
0 Replies

amygarside

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 06:30 pm
@imagine821,
It would depend on what kind of health care plan you have in your company. The best thing that you do is to consult your HR dept. regarding the policy they have on your health care.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 06:40 pm
I thing the OP and I are wondering about how this is affected by Obamacare, under which parents are able to keep coverage of dependents till age 26, and the insurance company isn't allowed to charge extra for this.

Now, I don't know how this relates to a dependent whose coverage has been dropped and picked up at a later time. I also don't know if this applies to individual paid policies only, or if company supported plans are included. Anyway, that's my take on the question.

Possibly, as BFN suggests, Human Resources can help. Depends on the company, I'm sure.
JPB

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 06:47 pm
@roger,
Well, they're allowed to charge extra if they've been charging extra for dependents under the age of 26. They aren't allowed to charge more for a 25 year old than they are a 4 year old, but they do have additional charges for dependent coverage.
JPB

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 06:49 pm
@imagine821,
It depends on the benefit provided by your employer. If your employer pays the cost for dependent coverage then it doesn't matter if your dependent is a small child or a young adult so long as she's 26 or under. it will be the same as it was previously unless your employer has changed it's benefit policies with regards to dependent premiums.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 06:49 pm
@JPB,
Oh. I clearly missed that.
JPB

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:01 pm
@imagine821,
When you say, "put her back on my health care" I assume she's not on your healthcare plan now. You may run into difficulties putting her back onto your coverage unless she's had a qualifying event (lost her job with her own coverage, exhausted her COBRA, etc.). Why is she not on your insurance now?

The change to the dependent child coverage occurred in Sep 2010. There was a 30-day transition period that allowed parents to enroll their dependent children up to age 26. I'm not sure you can just add her now unless there's a qualifying event.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:20 pm
@roger,
The "no additional cost" got a lot of press but it just means that a child is considered a dependent from birth - 26 for insurance purposes.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:57 pm
I wonder if "Obama got reelected and we all have to get insurance after all" will be considered a qualifying event for this year's enrollment period?
shahidsaif1

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 07:19 pm
@JPB,
i missed to.
0 Replies