Direct Cable Connection Question

caprice

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 08:41 pm
I've tried to do a direct cable connection between a desktop computer running XP and a computer running ME in order to transfer some large files. Regardless of which computer is host, I can't seem to get it to work. With the XP computer it asks me for a name and password. Huh? I am using the parallel port on both computers with the appropriate cable. I know I'm getting communication between the two because the ME will say connected or something like that and the XP asks me for a name/username, something like that. (I tried this a while ago and I can't recall details. Sorry!)

What am I missing out on here??

I didn't have this many hassles when I transferred stuff from my old 'puter which had Win '95 on it to my laptop with ME on it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 675 • Replies: 5
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 08:52 pm
I think what you've gotta do is to set the folder you want to transfer for sharing, and grant full access. When prompted to set a password, just leave it blank and hit OK. You do that on the machine hosting the folder. Then, when Microsoft Networking requests a password, you just leave the username/password box blank and hit OK. Anyhow, I think that's what you're after.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 09:02 pm
Here's another thought ... did you run "Networking Wizard"? Maybe if you ran it on one machine and made a setup disk at the end to run on the other machine, it might sort things out for ya.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 09:15 pm
I've tried ignoring use of the name and the password and then trying a name, thinking maybe my computer's "name" is what it was looking for...nothing worked.

I think I used Nework Wizard. I know I attempted to use every thing I could think of.

I found this site. I think I will try it tomorrow. What do you think. Smile

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpdcc9i.htm
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 09:32 pm
WindowsNetworking.com is a pretty good site. You oughtta be able to find some help there. Here's another thought ... why not go into Add/Remove Programs > Windows Setup > Communications on each machine, delete Direct Cable Connection (actually, just uncheck), reboot each, go back and re-install (just re-check) DCC ... its just a matter of a few clicks and a couple reboots, and that oughtta reset everything to scratch. Then do the Network Wizard thing on one machine, make a floppy when prompted to do so, and run it on the other machine. Sorry I'm not being more help; I don't use DCC; I go the NICs-and-Routers route.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 12:09 am
Oh, I know DCC isn't the connection of choice, but I have to do this on the cheap. To create a network and get a hub costs $$'s that I just don't have right now.

I did find another suggestion at one of my favourite sites, annoyances.org, that I hope to try tomorrow.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1036387336

(Plus another couple of ideas listed in the thread.)

Thanks for your assistance though! Smile
0 Replies