A very simple PC question

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 02:22 pm
I am on a Mac, and I can't remember exactly how to do this, but my sister-in-law sent me an e-mail with the following message:

". . . I have a new picture of Molly and Nick that I would like to show when the computer is turned on (background). How do I do that. Right now the picture is saved in my images and I cannot figure out how to move it."

I think I can explain how to move the file for her, but I forget what folder it has to be moved to. And to set it, you have to go to "control panels" . . . right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,168 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 02:26 pm
Yes, "Control Panel" has screen saver or background.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 02:28 pm
Just right click on the desktop and select "properties". From the desktop tab any image on the computer can be selected using the "browse" button.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 03:45 pm
Thanks, dude.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 03:50 pm
kickycan: The easiest way (assuming your sister-in-law is on a PC) is to right click on the image and select "set as desktop background". No fuss, no muss.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 03:59 pm
Caprice, I thought of that, but I forgot whether the image had to be open in a certain application for that to work or not. the file can be open in any application, correct?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 04:11 pm
If it's on the same computer, there should be not problem.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 04:33 pm
What O.S. does she have? If it's XP, it depends on which setting she has. Regardless, she just has to potentially add one step. Right click, select "preview", then right click again, then select "set as desktop background". Not as muss free as before, but only one more step.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 04:35 pm
Oh and yes, she should be able to open it in almost any application, but using "Preview" would guarantee the "Set as Desktop Background" coming up in the menu selection.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 04:40 pm
If she doesn't have XP, then it's best to follow Craven's example. I tried to give something simpler as I'm trying to teach my Mom had to do things with her computer and I always attempt to give any instructions using the fewest steps possible. She still hasn't grasped the concept of the file hierarchy yet. I have used visual props, images I have found online, but she still doesn't get it. Very frustrating! *L*
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 04:44 pm
I know what you mean. I am the designated "help desk" in my family, and they're always asking me questions that seem so simple, but somehow they don't get what I'm saying.

Thanks again.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 04:56 pm
Please update us on how it worked out for your sister-in-law. Smile
0 Replies