Help with Excel, please?

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 05:31 am
With Excel, is there a way to change the width of a cell, or a selected group of cells within a column, without affecting the entire column? (And thus any cell formatts up higher in the page...)

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,026 • Replies: 8
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 05:53 am
short answer: no

what are you trying to accomplish?
you CAN put a text box w/ no border around it in the place that you want something larger, assuming it is going to be just text and not a formula or a culmination of a formula...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 01:31 pm
You can merge specific cells. Then they can be as wide as two or more columns.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 07:17 pm
hmmm.... first, we need to know why you want to change the width....

If you're typing text, it will flow into the next cell(s), as long as those cells are empty....

For example, you can type "Detail For Line 5 Above - Automobile Expenses Year-To-Date:"

That line would probably be extended over several columns.... It should show on your screen, and print, without any problem.....

Let us know if we have answered your question.... there are people here who use Excel extensively....

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

harmonic

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 04:24 am
Well, I'm getting back in to pencil and paper gaming; my sons (10 & 14) are both enthralled with the old standard of rpgs, Dungeons & Dragons. I was just the same at that age, too... But, as I was saying, the uh, "addiction" is creeping up on me again. After some thinking, I thought it would be a good idea to jump back in to it. With a boy just turning 14, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have one more thing in common as he hits the hard years - if a silly old game keeps him home one more night a week, then that game is priceless.

So.. these questions are mainly about creating printable charts and forms. The D&D game these days, in a 3rd edition, is full of stuff, that to me, is useless or just plain silly. I am trying to re-do a lot of the charts and forms they provide in to more sensable formats, and this can be tough sometimes because a small change here or there can really throw other things (dependant modifiers and such) way off, which makes me have to re-format my work in Excel quite a bit.

In this case, I have four tables on a page: one going across the top, two side by side on the middle row, and another going across the bottom. Now, a while after these tables were completed, I found that I needed to revise the first table on the second row by adding another data column - but when I do, Excel adds the extra column to the whole worksheet, thus messing up the other tables on the page. I know... poor planing on my part... but I'd hate to have to go back and re-do the whole thing. Just hoping for a quick fix is all... Rolling Eyes Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 06:28 am
Why not just add cels rather than an entire column?
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:05 am
jespah.... I'm confused.... how do you do that???

harmonic.... I've been where you're standing.... I know how frustrating that is.... do you know that you can copy/paste a formula, and it will adjust the cells named in the formula, accordingly.....

When you said the word "table", it reminded me.... there are "tables" that float above the surface of your spreadsheet.... now, I've never used them for anything other than graphics, including text-type signature blocks.... so, to be honest, I don't know if you can create a spreadsheet within a floating table.....

It sounds like you've taken on a huge project....

I like the idea of connecting with your teenagers.... they really look to their parents for role models, but they would Never admit that!!

Excel is an awesome program.... I use it every day.... I know it does a lot more than I know about....

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 05:54 am
I might be confused myself. :-D

The idea I have is, highlight on the worksheet where you want to add cels, and right-click. Select Insert from the menu that opens up and then select Insert down or Insert Right as appropriate. Click OK when done.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 06:01 am
Drop ten yards and punt.

You only want paper copies of tables?..!? No computer in/out when your done?

Use Word. (Or Publisher) That way you can make your tables fit the page instead of trying to make you page fit the tables.
0 Replies