Child abuse/neglect and the DSS (Massachusetts)

littlek

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 11:16 pm
A friend knows of a 17 year old girl who is living on her own because her father is an ass. Mad Apparently, he's done raising her (her mom left when she was little). She's getting through high school, will be 18 in august, is living at a friend's house. I think she should take him to court, but the worry is that the DSS (Dept of Social Services) would put her in a home is she raised a blip on the radar.

Does anyone have any idea how the DSS works? Is there a way for her to be legally on her own at 17 and take her dad to court?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,329 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 12:06 am
You might do a search on Emancipated Persons and see if you turn anything up. Marriage usually does the trick, but I would be surprised if there weren't other circumstances as well.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 07:36 am
Another Place at the Table

'k, this is only tangentially about the DSS, but this is the story of a foster Mother. She writes about her experience taking in foster kids over the years.

Really, I have no idea about your question, but this book should be right up your ally.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 09:02 am
hmmmm, marriage wouldn't be ideal, I don't think.

Thanks for the link SP.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 02:54 pm
Until she's 18--or even graduated from high school-- her father is legally bound to support her.

The MA version of Children & Youth should be able to tell you some general facts without involving the girl directly.

Good luck. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 04:18 pm
Thanks Noddy.

The bastid doesn't even pay for her health insurance.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 05:09 pm
littlek--

Children & Youth will be on her side. Talk to them.

"Calling for a young friend" works when you have a mature voice and a clear agenda.
0 Replies