Hygiene issue with the kitchen floor

je641

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 05:36 am
Hi,

For the past several years I'm renting an apartment with a cuboard size kitchen unit. The problem is the vinyl covering is just a thin sheet over concrete layed around the baseboards and wall. As there are no seals any time the floor has to be mopped, the dirty water goes underneath and causes the vinyl to warp etc, but most of all adds to a build up of dirt underneath, which is a health issue as for a day or so afterwards mopping the underlying damp dirt causes a bad smell and attracts flies from outside.

The floor would be mopped whenever I use flour to make bread or buns. This has therefore not been practical. This has been a set back as my passion used to be to bake nutrious bread and buns.

I had requested the agent to seal the edges. But after 2 years of waiting he just got a man to put in another vinyl sheet and the dirt remains underneath. The gaps are open again for more water to go underneath.

I will be fixing this myself with paint primer for the pier, adhesive, silicone chalk and plinth strips, bought from my local hardware.store.

Due to other circumstances it has not been & is not possible for me to get a place to rent elsewhere.

This has been a purely hygiene concern, and I have no aesthetic needs about it or how it looks, but for visitors obviously the pier itself would not be appropriate.

Since this is a hygiene issue that could so easily and simply be resolved by landlords and property groups I am going to campaign that be put to law for all future tenants.

Any advise on someone, maybe a hygiene consultant to visit my kitchen where they could prove it is a hygiene and health concern for this purpose would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,265 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 07:01 am
@je641,
Personally, I'd put a towel down and then toss it into the laundry immediately after use (after shaking the crumbs outside). But it looks to me like you're looking to get something on your landlord re legality. If so, look up Health Inspectors or Building Inspectors.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 08:27 am
@je641,
It seems like you're using a lot of water when mopping.

Are you sweeping the flour before you mop?

I was taught to sweep, damp mop and dry mop. Never wet mop unless something is really really really filthy.

Wet mopping after baking should never be necessary. Definitely sweeping first and perhaps a damp mop followed by a dry mop. Not wet mopping - particularly if there is flour on the floor (and you should definitely consider what you're doing to get enough flour on the floor to require mopping).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 11:53 am
http://media.swiffer.com/en_US/data_root/images/productPages/wetJet/hero-swiffer-wetjet.jpg

Problem solved.
0 Replies