Churches Given Anti-Obama Message on Sunday Before Election

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 08:34 pm
@JPB,
I was raised with all the controlling. Stronger then than now.

It's not working so well now.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 08:35 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm behind on what's happening. What is this FFRF?
wandeljw

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 10:32 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm behind on what's happening. What is this FFRF?

FFRF is the Freedom From Religion Foundation, a watchdog group for church-state separation. They are currently suing the IRS in federal court for non-enforcement of electioneering prohibitions whenever a religious organization is involved. (Secular non-profits are also subject to the electioneering prohibition.)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 11:19 am
@wandeljw,
Thanks, Wandel.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 11:44 pm
@wandeljw,
Does this organization focus only on Christianity?

Doesn't take a whole lot of guts to go after a declining religion in the West.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 05:21 am
God, you're funny. Whether or not christianity is "declining," it remains the dominant, the majority religion in the United States. I don't know that Judaism or Islam, Hinduism or the Jains, Rastafaria or the Animists are attempting to interfere in the political process by leaning on their congregations. But i'm sure you're well informed on such matters, you always back up your rants with evidence (Rolling Eyes), so perhaps you can tell us how that all plays out.
spendius

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:36 am
@Setanta,
Well-- one might say that Judaism or Islam, Hinduism or the Jains, Rastafaria or the Animists are not attempting to interfere in the political process by leaning on their congregations because they know that the congregation won't accept being leaned on by any of them.

If that were not the case history shows that they would lean for all they are worth. Setanta's argument is nonsensical and relies on little or no attention being brought to bear on it. Which is to say he thinks we are all stupid. The up-thumber being a case in point.

The problem with the decline of Christianity is what it declines into. The tyranny of the reason, thought by some historians to have been the preface to the decline of Classical culture, is bound over time to result in smaller, narrower and more and more unfruitful investigations. Witness the search for fossils and the contradictory conclusions drawn from them as investigators pursue allocations of funds rather than any real science with the sole objective of making a name for themselves. Also photographs of more and more distant objects in space and smaller units of time after the Big Bang.

Setanta and his cohorts will never venture into the territory of what will the decline of Christianity lead to. And such a decline is destined to lead somewhere.

I suggest that it is his Christian consciousness which underlies his reticence in that important regard.

He is rather similar to a street furniture vandal who pays no mind to the obvious possibility of the US having 308 million street furniture vandals. He makes the crass error of comparing something that exists in reality with some abstract, ideal state which does not exist and can possibly never exist.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 09:35 am
From IRS Fact Sheet No. 2006-17:

Quote:
....Under federal tax law, section 501(c)(3) organizations may take positions on public policy issues, including issues that divide candidates in an election for public office. However, section 501(c)(3) organizations must avoid any issue advocacy that functions as political campaign intervention. Even if a statement does not expressly tell an audience to vote for or against a specific candidate, an organization delivering the statement is at risk of violating the political campaign intervention prohibition if there is any message favoring or opposing a candidate. A statement can identify a candidate not only by stating the candidate’s name but also by other means such as showing a picture of the candidate, referring to political party affiliations, or other distinctive features of a candidate’s platform or biography. All the facts and circumstances need to be considered to determine if the advocacy is political campaign intervention.

....A communication is particularly at risk of political campaign intervention when it makes reference to candidates or voting in a specific upcoming election.
spendius

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 10:17 am
@wandeljw,
I don't see why--

Quote:
“No Catholic may, in good conscience, vote for ‘pro-choice’ candidates [or] . . . for candidates who promote ‘same-sex marriage.’ ”

falls foul of any of that wande. Everybody knows the statement is true.
spendius

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 10:19 am
@spendius,
Isn't campaigning for abortion and homosexual marriage a bid for the non-Catholic vote?
0 Replies