The Catholic Church is, was, and always will be wrong in accepting
tax-exempt status. I say this as someone who has been Catholic most
of his life. When you depend on the state for money, then you become
obligated to dance to the state's tune.

"Whose is this image and inscription?"
maxdancona

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 06:15 pm
@George,
Ok George, which churches are right in accepting tax-exempt status?

In my opinion a church that dances to the state's tune is the least beneficial to society. Again, I am fine with the idea that maybe no church should be tax-exempt. But the idea that the state will give financial benefits to churches that "dance to its tune" sounds like a very bad thing to me,
George

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 07:40 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Ok George, which churches are right in accepting
tax-exempt status? . . .
Not for me to say.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 07:56 pm
@roger,
Personally I believe if they’re using money donated to their church by their followers and those that donate “receive tax deductions” and if that money isn't going to anyplace then to promote their church it should be taxed.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 12:40 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
In 1932 Roman Catholic churches in Germany advised their members to vote for the NAZI party.
That would be rather interesting if this had really been so: the Zentrum was the Catholic party, and thus the resulty of the election in (July) 1932 show that the NSDAP got less votes in more Catholic parts of Germany than in those with a Protestant dominance.

Actually, some authors note that there was a relative immunity to Nazism within German Catholicism until 1933.

The attitude of the Catholics towards the Nazis changed after 1933, when the Reichskonkordat (a treaty between the Holy See and Germany) was concluded.
roger

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 12:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Sorry for the delay, Walter. I don't know why only religious organizations would lose their exempt status for becoming political. In fact, I did not understand that strictly political organizations would ever have tax exempt status. JPB's comment indicates I could be wrong, and she has a good reputation with facts. There may be some fine distinction going on involving political activity, but I'm not aware of what it might be.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 01:22 am
@roger,
As far as I understand it, Roger, these groups must have a "social welfare" status. Thus, eight of the 25 Tea Party groups represented by the ACLJ have gotten tax-exempt status (the others still pending). And the National Rifle Association, the Sierra Club ... ... ...
roger

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 02:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Sounds plausible. There just has to be a reason the National Rifle Association is separate from its Instute for Legislative Action. Donations to the latter are distinctly non deductable. The NRA itself, I'm not sure. I don't recall there ever being a time when I wouldn't have lost money by itemizing deductions. Here, when you itemize, you give up the Standard Deduction.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 03:27 am
@George,
Good point, George . . . render unto Caesar . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 03:33 am
For those who are not following along with that line, it appears that Jesus would have approved of taxing churches. In Mark, Chapter 12, verses 14 through 17:

And when they were come, they say unto him, Master, we know that thou art true, and carest for no man: for thou regardest not the person of men, but teachest the way of God in truth: Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not?

Shall we give, or shall we not give? But he, knowing their hypocrisy, said unto them, Why tempt ye me? bring me a penny, that I may see it.

And they brought it. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? And they said unto him, Caesar's.

And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

Straight from the horse's mouth . . .
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 06:35 am
@roger,
tax exempt organizations are not allowed to participate in 'partisan politics' other than in very limited circumstances. A church may invite a candidate to address the congregation but the church cannot formally endorse a candidate or tell it's members how to vote and expect to keep it's tax exempt status. It's a choice they make. If they want to play in partisan politics then they risk losing their tax breaks. No one is saying they can't participate in political activities but that there are consequences if they do (except our weany bureaucrats will do nothing about this).

Here's an article that spells it out pretty clearly.

http://www.arentfox.com/publications/index.cfm?fa=legalUpdateDisp&content_id=1177
wandeljw

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 06:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

wandeljw wrote:
In 1932 Roman Catholic churches in Germany advised their members to vote for the NAZI party.
That would be rather interesting if this had really been so: the Zentrum was the Catholic party, and thus the resulty of the election in (July) 1932 show that the NSDAP got less votes in more Catholic parts of Germany than in those with a Protestant dominance.

Actually, some authors note that there was a relative immunity to Nazism within German Catholicism until 1933.

The attitude of the Catholics towards the Nazis changed after 1933, when the Reichskonkordat (a treaty between the Holy See and Germany) was concluded.

The support for my statement was only anecdotal. My late father often talked about hearing priests in 1932 Germany insist that only the Nazi party could help Germany.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 06:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Their "social welfare" status typically gets bundled under an "education" banner. ALEC, for instance, gets it's nonprofit status because it claims to be an education service. BAH!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 07:05 am
@JPB,
Around here, we see that the CAtholic Churches have gotten involved in the debate by a , sort of, weak ndorsement of Romney. There are also several
Vote Your Catholic VAlues" on e;ection day.
Typical Catholic Assumptions, that their laity will follow like sheep
George

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 08:22 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
. . . Typical Catholic Assumptions, that their laity will follow like sheep
I do not know a single Catholic who assumes that the laity will follow like
sheep. The hierarchy keeps trying, though.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 10:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Actually, I do mind.
I don't believe that any religious or political organization should have a tax exempt status.
Any organization that involves itself in politics should have to pay taxes, no matter what that organization is or what it claims to represent.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 10:18 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
If one was able to just "leave" the Catholic church, what would one be?

A former Catholic.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 10:50 am
@Foofie,
If you want to leave the Catholic (or any other 'recognised') church, in Germany you declare that at the registry office of your community or at your county court; in Austria, you declare it at the district or at the magistrate; in Switzerland, at your community offices. That can be done from the age of 14 onwards without parental or legal guardian's approval.

Afterwards you are ... what joe said.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 11:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Why does the court system have to be involved?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 12:11 pm
@mysteryman,
That's because (most) churches are institutions under public law. You could actually do it a notary (or notary office in some states), but that would be more expensive.