Have you never lost an entire message

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 12:40 pm

There are several ways it can come about but the most common is to inadvertently click on the red dot when you didn't mean to, deleting every tag

But if that doesn't bother you--maybe because you save at the end of every sentence--or maybe you just hate tags--after the last rev how about when you make a typo and the the resident ed. simply turns off the keyboard so you lose the rest of the sentence or even para

Hasn't that ever happened to you and didn't it bother you even a little bit

Doesn't it tear you to pieces or even slightly annoy you while you're editing a posting there's no scroll bar

Oh yes, I forgot: To establish it you first have to type ten lines, none of them a quotation, interspersed by no more than 3 blank returns, while holding the left, not the right, side of your lower lip down with the middle finger of your left--not right hand, then click on a blank line, scroll to the top using the up arrow, then hit "return"

In a forum of 100,000 members is there only one of me who rails at such digital stupidity

djjd62

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 12:43 pm
possibly, i'm honestly not sure

things like this never really bother me
djjd62

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 12:48 pm
i did however once lose an entire massage

it was winter and a girlfriend had given me a very nice massage to relieve a sore muscle in my back, later while out, i slipped on some ice and strained my back

lost the entire massage in an instant
dalehileman

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 12:53 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
possibly, i'm honestly not sure
An honest answer indeed

Quote:
things like this never really bother me
Is it possible then you've seldom experienced the sorts of difficulties I've described

Or maybe simply besides your patience it's you're a more proficient typist, careful, painstaking, requiring little if any subsequent editing
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 12:57 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
lost the entire massage in an instant
Good one Dj
Believe it or not I had to do a search
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 01:07 pm
@dalehileman,
Enzo, come to my rescue. Surely you if anyone must understand
djjd62

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 01:10 pm
@dalehileman,
if you say his name 5 times he'll appear

wait that might be Candyman

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/89/Candymanposter.jpg

dalehileman

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 01:12 pm
@djjd62,
Let's try it

Enzo enzo enzo enzo enzo

I wonder if it has to be a cap
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 01:38 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Yes and No.
I have occasionally deleted the entire message accidentally, then moved on. It did not bother me.
Quote:
Doesn't it tear you to pieces or even slightly annoy you while you're editing a posting there's no scroll bar

So this is really just another thread by you on that silly scroll bar which you will name Portnoy.

http://able2know.org/topic/200105-1

Quote:
In a forum of 100,000 members is there only one of me
I certainly hope so.
djjd62

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 02:01 pm
@Sturgis,
nothing like a dead horse when it comes to beating, i say
0 Replies

Enzo

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 02:05 pm
umm... you called?

Anyway I've never encountered the problems you speak of.

Quote:
There are several ways it can come about but the most common is to inadvertently click on the red dot when you didn't mean to, deleting every tag

I've never encountered a red dot. Do you mean a red x on a tag that you put on a thread. For me clicking it just removes the tag that I gave for a thread, nothing more.

Quote:
But if that doesn't bother you--maybe because you save at the end of every sentence--or maybe you just hate tags--after the last rev how about when you make a typo and the the resident ed. simply turns off the keyboard so you lose the rest of the sentence or even para

I don't hate tags because without tags there would be no level of organization. I see it as cataloging.

Quote:

Never has happened to me.

Quote:
Doesn't it tear you to pieces or even slightly annoy you while you're editing a posting there's no scroll bar'
Oh yes, I forgot: To establish it you first have to type ten lines, none of them a quotation, interspersed by no more than 3 blank returns, while holding the left, not the right, side of your lower lip down with the middle finger of your left--not right hand, then click on a blank line, scroll to the top using the up arrow, then hit "return"

Again, the problem you have encountered has not been experience by me. When I type in the editor, after the sixth line, the scroll bar automatically appears, and furthermore, the editor box expands, or more accurately elongates downward, but there seems to be a cutoff point. It doesn't matter because the scroll bar appears. Another thing is that on the bottom right hand corner of the editor there is a re-size option to re-size the editor to the length and width that suits you (and the scroll bar will still be there, if your thread is long enough).

Quote:
In a forum of 100,000 members is there only one of me who rails at such digital stupidity

Well it could just not be the forum itself. What web browser are you using? Is it up to date/ running the latest version?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 02:12 pm
@dalehileman,
I have lost messages by failing to properly click on the reply button.

I and others have seemingly lost messages on the Beautiful Animals and a political thread (I forget which one) at the point where the threads need to go to a new page. The commonality is (I think) that they are very very long threads. People have figured it out and add 'bump' posts to get over the hump, after which the lost post will show up.

What red dot are you talking about? the renew arrow in the url bar? If so, why would you click on that when you are posting?

Scrolling has only been a problem for me because of (I think) overheating issues with my computer. Other than those times - when the computer and my cursor are in wild animal mode with warning bells ringing - nothing to do with a2k - I have no scrolling issues. I understand how to move my cursor and how to use up and down arrows.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 02:14 pm
@Sturgis,
Ok, you made me laugh, and welcome back.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 02:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:

Ok, you made me laugh, and welcome back.

My work here is done then (at least for a few minutes).
Glad to have survivalated and returned (now if only I had a few artichokes...).
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 02:30 pm
@Sturgis,
They were looking good at my market this week. Love carciofi romana. Pricey, they were.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3367/3308392261_dbfddf8e36_o.jpg
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 03:11 pm
What red dot? Where is there a red dot? Am I missing something important?

roger

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 03:43 pm
@Roberta,
Aha! When you tag a topic, you get a red X box. Is it possible someone inadvertantly clicked the red X and cleared their tag. It might indeed seem that the message were missing.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 03:49 pm
@roger,
Yeah.

I didn't see a wee red circle next time I tried to post a response, so I figure that is not regular.
Maybe you are right, he's talking a tag related thing.

Of course, then he could just put the tag word in the tag box on the new posts page, if it was a usual tag. If unusual, and Dale erased it, so it goes. Not clear why that would erase his post.

My decision is = butterfingers.
roger

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 04:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Technically, he didn't say it was erased. He said "lost". Maybe it's there and he just can't find it. We should ask Dale for clarification.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 04:11 pm
@roger,
Ah. Yes, you can find a flub up if you click back, but not endlessly. It's the way of the world.
0 Replies