Virus Removed - Now DNS doesn't work

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 11:46 am
McAfee found an "Adware Keen" virus on my PC. Deleted all those files. Then ran Pest Patrol and Spybot and the machine looks clean.

Problem is, I can connect to the Internet, but I cannot resolve any IP addresses or URL's. Brought the machine into work and connected it to the network and it behaves the same way even with a static IP address.

Did the virus corrupt the TCP/IP stack? What could be the problem?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,950 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 11:54 am
What kind of connection? Dialup?

Have you looked at your HOSTS file?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 11:56 am
You say you can't resolve any IP address or URL and I just want to clarify something. Can you ping anything using just the IP addy?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 01:21 pm
Doesn't matter if you use dialup or ethernet, same result. When I get connected, I can ping hosts by IP address but if I try to ping by name it doesn't work. Browser is totally hosed because of this. No DNS resolution whatsoever.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 01:25 pm
Also, Pest Patrol now doesn't work. If you try to start it, it says "...encountered an error and has to close...". I tried reinstalling but got the same result.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 02:36 pm
Anybody?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 02:39 pm
Did you check your HOSTS file?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 02:49 pm
What about it? I recently copied a new hosts file to the disk, but I didn't put in where Windows would expect to find it.

Are you saying that perhaps the virus somehow corrupted the hosts file?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 03:18 pm
It's possible, lots of spyware does that.

But I don't think that's it. I just think you should try it because it's so easy.

I suspect you'll ahve to re-install your TCP/IP and network connections and such.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 03:50 pm
I work in an IT support group and one of the Windows techs is trying that right now. He's doing some sort of "Repair" operation.

I quit working on MS stuff when 95 came out. Of course everyone "needed" it, but it broke everything, especially the more expensive software like MicroCadam and AutoCAD (I worked for a CAD/CAM support group). Right then and there I decided to focus more on Unix. Still no guru, but don't have to work full time on Windows either.
0 Replies