Internet Connection Question....

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 12:55 pm
Wow, for once I have a REAL question:

I'm going to NY for 2 weeks. I have a laptop my friend recently gave me...I've never really used it, nor have I ever used the internet anywhere other than work or home.

Assuming my hotel has an internet connection, how can I use the internet while away using my computer? My home connection is Comcast, is there a way to use that account? Am I better off using one of those free AOL discs? As of now I think the laptop is pretty much empty, but I'm not sure.

Sing it loud, computer geeks...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,990 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:19 pm
Most hotels these days have high speed Internet connections in the room. Just plug it in and boot up. The network connection should be detected. Then just launch IE or Netscape or whatever browser you use and you should be golden. I don't have Comcast but I'd be willing to bet they have a web based interface to their e-mail system. That's the best way to manage e-mail when you're using multiple systems.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 01:45 pm
Use Comcast webmail.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 02:12 pm
jespah wrote:
Use Comcast webmail.

Does that mean I can sign in using our current account?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 02:26 pm
Yep, e-mail address and password is typically all you need. I use Earthlink's webmail and for the most part it works fine.

Try Comcast's now before you go anywhere.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 04:50 pm
I can't find the link, but I think it's www.comcast.net/webmail or it may be http://webmail.comcast.net (Slappy, once you find it, could you please post it here? Thanks)

In any event, the online mail box is small, so delete everything as soon as you can. And, if you want it to show up in your inbox as well as online, there's a toggle for that.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 10:04 am
Jespah, I couldn't find it.

But I figured out what I'm doing...I didn't realize this computer doesn't have the plug in for a cable connection(ethernet?), so I'm just going to use an AOL free disc and use the phone line.

Thanks for the help.
0 Replies