Magnetic propulsion

Toshith

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 07:19 pm
Does the magnetic propulsion helps in moving the train foward . If yes,how.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 720 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 02:23 pm
@Toshith,
Tos you'll have to elaborate. Certainly if it's an electric loco to armature of its motor is magnetically "propelled"

There is however a magnetically propelled train but if that's what you have ref to, why ask

Toshith

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:50 pm
@dalehileman,
Yes ,Daleh thats certainly my question. Because I have read that there is an upliftment in the train. Then it should be a really strong force isnt it.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 08:36 pm
@Toshith,
I'm no expert but yes, it has to be lifted as well as propelled and yes it must be a terrific force
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 06:36 pm
@Toshith,
Once the train starts moving the lifting forces can be reduced due to ground effect provided by aerodynamic lift. Moreover the higher the velocity the greater the ground effect.

Rap
Toshith

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 07:00 am
@raprap,
For sure rap but , I did not know the format used because as per what i have read the oposite polarity rises the train up. If I am wrong please let me know.
0 Replies

Zarathustra

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 09:42 am
@Toshith,
The answer to your question (if I understand it), is that yes the magnetic field moves the train. Once the magnetic train is lifted into the air the magnets beneath it (and along the side guide-walls of the track) are manipulated by computer to change the magnetic force and the train is pulled and pushed along the track. It would be like taking a piece of iron and holding a magnet in front of it. As the magnet attracts it the piece of iron moves towards the magnet. Move the magnet and the iron follows.

It is the same thing except here field strength of many magnets is varied. It is also possible for the magnets in front pulling the train and the magnets behind pushing it.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 10:01 am
@raprap,
Quote:
the lifting forces can be reduced due to ground effect provided by aerodynamic lift
Aha! thanks Rap, it's not everyday……

Quote:
Once the magnetic train is lifted into the air
I gather than, that the field does actually lift the train but in motion that the aero effect helps keep it there
0 Replies