The Sphinx and Pyramids of Egypt - What's it all about?

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 06:52 pm
What are your thoughts or theories as to the meaning or purpose of the Sphinx and/or the Pyramids of Egypt?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,992 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 07:21 pm
basically the same as every other religion. "i am god or a direct descendent thereof ergo worship me and i will live forever"
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:48 am
Well the sphinx is a human head on a lions body. The human head representing ... humans, and the lions body representing that we come from animals and are another form of animal to God.
I am not sure, but if I remember correctly (I took an interest in Egyptology many years ago) the sphinx was built to show God (or Ra, the God of sun) that we honored him and wanted to raise ourselves out of the earth to bask in the light of his making. It also represented a guardian to protect something - land, a building, a pyramid.

The Egyptian sphinx differs to the Greek sphinx in that the Greek sphinx was considered evil and the actual name "sphinx" comes from the Greek "sphingo" which means to choke or strangle.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:59 am
As for Pyramids - to us they were basically the gravestones of Pharoahs (kings), although other important people also got tombs similar in shape but not as big as the Pyramids of the Pharoahs.

Since the ancient Egyptians believed wholeheartedly in life after death, their Pharoahs were provided with an abundance of riches to help them on their journey by filling their tomb with many items that the Pharoah would need in his afterlife. All Egyptians believed that their own lives and afterlives depended on their Pharoah's continued existence and this is why they strove to make his tomb so extravagantly comfortable and monumental.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 01:11 pm
Why do you think the Great Pyramid has so many shafts in it, and with differing angles, as well as its amazing alignment with the four cardinal points of the magnetic compass?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 01:55 pm
I've always wondered about the precision of the alignments and wondered if the Egyptians were more advanced than we give them credit for. Since no records have been recovered of how and why in these positions they built these structures it is one of our greatest mysteries now trying to figure out what they knew and were thinking back then.

While everyone is arguing about the positioning of the pyramids and which angle faces North, I often chuckle and think "what if the Egyptians were not at all concerns about the position of the sun and/or stars and simply placed them in a pretty line, like a line of houses. Or could it be that the transport of materials from origination to the building of the pyramid was easier when set upon a straight route from the last pyramid simply because a travelling surface (road) was developed for the first pyramid and simply extended beyond for the next and then the next?
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:13 pm
The Sphinx was the centerpiece of an ancient Eqyptian minature golf course.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:28 pm
Darn and I thought those were gopher holes!
0 Replies

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 09:15 am
You may interested to know that the latest theory on how the 2 tonne blocks were elevated to the upper levels of the Great Pyramid were by...wait for it...KITE.

A researcher in California has been experimenting for several years on transporting large objects by means of high-lift kites!
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 09:25 am
If true, that must have been exciting if and when the kite broke loose. WHOMP!
0 Replies

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 09:30 am
I reckon that the guy(s) who would have to hold on to such a kite, if it ever happened, would have had biceps like Swartzenegger's. The tensile loads on the string (more likely, rope) would lift the kite-flyers clean off the ground and possibly half way up the Nile!
0 Replies

danni-lee

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:11 pm
first the sphinx wasn't originally a mans head on a lions body, that was just some pharaoh who wanted glory, so when he began reconstruction on the sphinx instead of placing another lion head ( the pharaoh may not have even known that the head was originally a lions, but think about it logically , lion body . . .) he placed his own face on there instead.

evidence: well aside from the fact the head of the sphinx is proprotiantly tiny by comparison to the rest of the body, the head is made of a completly different kind of rock! it was just stuck on top!

as far as the pyramid goes, how can egyptologists still claim khufu (there are records of khufu restoring the pyramid, no record of him building it though), khafre and menkura were the builders of the three pyramids?

evidence (and this isnt everything):

- the most obvious of them all, there are no writings in any of the three pyramids (please don't tell me a scribble of "khufu" in an air shaft means he built it, come on, honestly!), the egyptians are well known for their writing , they loved to leave their mark everywhere. if the khufu really did build the great pyramid he would have completely covered it with heiroglyphics as would khafre and menkura.

- another obvious point, where is the treasure? grave robbers i hear you say, most of the chambers they have opened were previously sealed since construction ( whenever that was), how did these grave robbers manage to get in?

- i guess the third most obvious point, where are the embalmed pharaohs!!! no bodies were ever discovered in the three pyramids , unless you want to include a mummy archaeologists claimed they found in the third pyramid of menkura that mysteriously disappeared on a boat on its way to be analysed. even if it was a real mummy, it could have easily been a normal mummy found else where and placed there to be found.

- they are out of order, khufu reigned before khafre, yet the pyramid of khafre is smaller than that of khufu, as is the same with menkura. If they were capable of building the great pyramid, wouldnt it then follow logic that they would be able to build a bigger and better pyramid the next time around? but instead they become smaller, i ask, where is the logic in that?

- they simply stop building them to that degree of size and acuracy after the pyramid which alegedly was built by menkura, apparently reverting back to their crude and inferrior methods of pyramid building. wouldn't they gain knowledge and experience by building the pyramids which would improve the quality of workmanship, and their tools would have advanced as well. suddenly reverting back to inferior methods, right . . . Rolling Eyes

- the pyramid wasnt even built in the fourth dynasty!! it was built some time (i have no idea how much) before the end of the last ice age. the melting of the ice created a flood which managed to cover the pyramid. i say this as salt sediment (obviously we are talking sea water here) and many fossils of sea creatures were found at the base of the pyramid, so they were clearly covered in water at some point.

i would go into the astronomical ramifications of the three pyramids, but that would be several pages of scientific data, i dont think you really want to read all of that.

im not claiming aliens did it, although i think its possible, im simply stating that there is no possible way the egyptians of the fourth dynasty built the three pyramids of giza, it just doesnt add up, they merely saw three magnificint structures and decided to claim ownership, khufu was first so logically he claimed the largest pyramid, followed by khafre and so on.

sorry for rambling, its a topic i feel very passionate about.
0 Replies

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:59 am
danni-lee wrote:
first the sphinx wasn't originally a mans head on a lions body, that was just some pharaoh who wanted glory, so when he began reconstruction on the sphinx instead of placing another lion head ( the pharaoh may not have even known that the head was originally a lions, but think about it logically , lion body . . .) he placed his own face on there instead.

I concur.
0 Replies

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:01 am
danni-lee wrote:
i would go into the astronomical ramifications of the three pyramids, but that would be several pages of scientific data, i dont think you really want to read all of that.

Sure I would! If you've been reading Robert Buval or Graham Hancock, then I'm familiar with their material.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:30 am
The sphynix faces east, towards the constaltion Leo. The sphynix is much older than the pyramids, and no-one is sure who built it, or why. Apparently. there is some evidence to suggest it may have been built when the area was covered in a dense jungle.
0 Replies

danni-lee

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 03:51 pm
i havent been reading that , but i have done a lot of net searching, interesting stuff
0 Replies