disabled and wanted to retrain in another job that I can do

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 06:29 pm
I am currently diasbled and wanting to retrain myself in a job that I can do...wanting to take online classes but not sure what to take...I can't sit or stand for long periods and can't type or write for long periods...no lifting and repetetion work...have a lot of restrictions...does anyone have a suggestion on a job that I could do..and take online classes...ready to go back to work...and make real money not living on the pay I get from diability which is not much
oh I forgot to add ..have had 3 back surgeries and neck promblems

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 09:47 pm
@michelle4539,
You might consider a zero-gravity chair and computer set up. I'll look around to see if I can find the links I researched many years ago for myself before I decided it was too expensive.

As for the no typing or writing for extensive periods of time, look into Dragon Naturally Speaking. It is a program that translates your verbal speech into text in a Word or Notepad document. You can also give computer commands verbally for it to execute.

I'll also post some links for that. Back in a bit.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 09:54 pm
@Butrflynet,
Okay, do a search on "zero gravity computer workstation" for more alternatives. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://assets.hardwaresphere.com/uploads/2008/07/zero-gee-ergonomic-computer-workstation.jpg

Here's info on the Dragon Naturally Speaking which is sold on the QVC website. It is also available on Amazon.com and directly from the manufacturer.

I can personally vouch for the Dragon Naturally Speaking software. I have it and use it quite often.

Look into perhaps your disability insurance covering all or part of the costs for that zero gravity workstation. Do you have a disability advocate? If not, your physician might be able to help you find an advocate or even help you get the paperwork done to apply for help paying for the workstation.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 09:57 pm
@Butrflynet,
Have you looked into places such as Goodwill Industries? They should be able to give you some ideas as to what type of work you'd be able to do in an employer's facility, or do from the comfort of your zero gravity workstation at home.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 10:05 pm
@michelle4539,
Can you contact your local social services department to ask if they can help you? Good luck on meeting your goals.
0 Replies