Why can't we have instant scrolling

dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 10:29 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
…...you can isolate…...by delete [ing] the paragraphs that don't apply…...but you know that.
Yes of course I understand the fundamentals

Quote:
My point was more that you don't want to be changing anyone else's words.
Yes, no, Oss, absolutely, I never outright change his words except occasionally to correct a misspelling

Quote:
After what is left…... the person's post remains framed…...still have space to type,
No, no, Oss, yes, yes; if your interpretation was my fault for my lack of clarity again I apologize

Quote:
and the scroll bar will show up when you need more room to type.
No, no, it won't necessarily show up, that was precisely my objection. Perhaps you will want to review the entire thread

Does anyone else share Oss' apparent confusion and if so I'd be glad to attempt a clarification
djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 10:42 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
and the scroll bar will show up when you need more room to type.
No, no, it won't necessarily show up, that was precisely my objection. Perhaps you will want to review the entire thread

Does anyone else share Oss' apparent confusion and if so I'd be glad to attempt a clarification

i wonder if it's a browser issue
dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 10:46 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
Good q, Dj. However I suspect it's a2k edit software since I haven't encountered the problem at other forums of this sort
djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 10:51 am
@dalehileman,
i always get a scroll bar within 10 lines, and that has been the same across two platforms ( mac & windows) using firefox on both
dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 11:34 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
i always get a scroll bar within 10 lines,
That's probably because you don't use "Quote" as frequently as I, eg,

It's simply that I use "Quote" more generously than other participants

Quote:
It's a very important practice and one which I highly recommend as I am often baffled by someone's response to my much earlier posting

Interesting incidentally to note in this connection that the single quote caused my posting to exceed the size of the window so the earlier appearance of a scrollbar would have been much appreciated

Though as I had asserted earlier it's difficult to alter purchased software so I would understand if a2k Admin makes no effort to correct the glitch

rosborne979

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 12:07 pm
@dalehileman,
If you want the scroll bar to show up in the edit window when you use quoted text, then all you have to do is add a single carriage return at the top. That will trigger the software to recognize that the text in the window exceeds the limit and show the scroll bar.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 02:12 pm
@rosborne979,
Wow Ros, thanks, I'll try it and get back to you
dalehileman

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 12:45 pm
@dalehileman,
Wow you guys are indeed helpful

What one does is hit QUOTE then carriage return: BINGO, THERE'S YOUR SCROLL BAR
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 12:49 pm
@dalehileman,
So, NOW is it solved??

Joe(Next, we solve the Middle East Peace Process)Nation

dalehileman

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 01:05 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
So, NOW is it solved??
No Joe not entirely tho it's ameliorated. Yet the scroll bar should be instant instead of depending on a bunch of extra keystrokes not everyone might be aware of. For instance if we do the QUOTE-return thing WE still have to delete the first "[/quote]"

Some participants still question the value of a scroll within the first ten lines but if they had it they would come to appreciate it since the mouse scroll is so much more convenient than the arrow keys
rosborne979

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 07:45 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Wow you guys are indeed helpful

What one does is hit QUOTE then carriage return: BINGO, THERE'S YOUR SCROLL BAR
Finally! Thank God!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 07:46 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
So, NOW is it solved??
No Joe not entirely...
Oh ****.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 07:47 pm
@rosborne979,
what about the pony?
rosborne979

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 07:54 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

what about the pony?
Smile Apparently if you want a pony, nothing else will do. It's Gotta Be A PONY! (and I'm going to hold my breath until I get it)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 08:09 pm
@Rockhead,
The pony couldn't move the cursor.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 08:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I just use telepathy to handle scrolling
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 08:16 pm
@Sturgis,
You would, you brat!
0 Replies

Enzo

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:13 am
@dalehileman,
Good that your problem is semi-resolved.

On the topic of scroll, do you ever get buggy in those long threads where when you get to the bottom of the long thread, you've got to click that green arrow on the top right hand corner to reach the top menu to browse other posts?

It would be better if everything from
Quote:
Popular • My Friends • My Topics • My Posts • My Tags • New Topics • New Posts • Unanswered

and above stay observable, there on top of the screen, while scrolling down.
Cause for me that saves me one click of the green arrow. I've clicked that green arrow so much that I have a distaste for it now.
That opinion shouldn't be taken to mean that the green arrow should be removed; it could stay there to allow a user to reach the title of a topic if needed.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 02:21 am
@Enzo,
you'll have to pry my green arrow out of my cold dead hands.

if you outlaw the green arrow, then only outlaws will have green arrows...

dale, dale, dale.

whatever did we do before you?

oh yes, we had mr goldman.

how soon we forget...

dalehileman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 11:20 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
I suppose it could be, at least partly. However I haven't encountered the glitch on other forums

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 05:42:34