Why can't we have instant scrolling

dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 12:29 am
@ossobuco,
I think Oss has nailed it just above, for which many thanks at last

Evidently a2k editing software somehow gets confused by quotes. Possibly it can't "see" them so holds back the scroll bar even if the window is full. Let's see

Quote:
Evidently a2k editing software somehow gets confused by quotes. Possibly it can't "see" them so holds back the scroll bar even if the window is full. Let's see

Quote:

Yep that's it, and again thanks Oss

Edited to remark that might have been Roger's meaning in an earlier posting #……225 and if so Rog, sorry I didn't understand

Meantime sorry to so upset everyone
dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 01:06 am
@Mame,
Quote:
Why would you need to scroll through your own post?
Oftentimes with many quotes it far exceeds the size of the window

Quote:
Use the arrow keys
Of course I'm forced to when that's my only alternative. However as I might have mentioned earlier, the entire purpose of the mouse wheel is to make it unnecessary
Rockhead

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 01:15 am
@dalehileman,
dale...

have you ever been ice fishing?
dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 01:15 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
..and yes nobody else seems to miss it, which I find most puzzling
Now quite obvious of course. It's simply that I use "Quote" more generously than other participants

It's a very important practice and one which I highly recommend as I am often baffled by someone's response to my much earlier posting
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 01:18 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
have you ever been ice fishing?
I'm sorry Rock but that query is in response to which of my postings

But no, in spite of my childhood in Upper Michigan I had never so engaged

On a Munising pier in midwinter however I once caught a sizable fish but alas lost it when someone joggled my elbow, and the only time in my 81 years I ever went fishing

Except possibly if you qualify the activities of an Internet troll, of which I've been accused more than once

But I assure you most wholeheartedly this long thread was in no way intended as a trolling expedition, I was really concerned about the lack of scroll bar while finally through Oss' last posting (and possibly one earlier by Rog) I did gain very useful insight for which again thanks guys most kindly

…….while again my most sincere apologies to the few participants whom my apparent repetition had so enraged
Rockhead

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 01:22 am
@dalehileman,
the query was in response the the body of your postings.

have you considered a hobby?

ice fishing just seemed up your alley.

but maybe best tried alone first.

a companion might feel compelled to feed the fish...
Rockhead

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 01:32 am
@dalehileman,
who got enraged?

I musta missed that part.

gosh, I hope you don't mean me...

Shocked
Rockhead

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 01:34 am
@dalehileman,
I gotta second you on roger. *(Roger?)

he's really a great big sweetie under those wrinkled ugly clothes.

(he thinks I'm a dog)
dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 01:38 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
the query was in response the the body of your postings.
In what way

Quote:
have you considered a hobby?
One present "hobby" of course is a sort of addiction to a2k, and I do write a lot of Letters to the Editor of our local Fourth Estate

I was an amateur radio operator, inventor, rockhound, and wrote many mag articles about my works and discoveries but don't do that sort of thing much these days as it's a form of work but I'm retired

Quote:
ice fishing just seemed up your alley.
Don't like the cold, one reason retired to Mojave Desert

Quote:
but maybe best tried alone first…..a companion might feel compelled to feed the fish...
Again Rock you might have to elaborate as I find translating puns also a form of work

Just one more thing, about Rog, just what did you second
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 01:43 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
who got enraged?
Golly several. There was one gal for instance who seemed beside herself

Quote:
gosh, I hope you don't mean me...
Oh no of course not at all but in general I have noted over the years that the personality terribly angry at all times about nearly everything is drawn to the Internet forum since I presume it gives him an opportunity to vent his frustrations under the pseudonym of a username

It's as if he comes here looking for something to be mad about

But it's getting onto 1 a.m. here so forgive me if I don't respond right away

Awful addiction

Oh, hobby; also beer tasting. If you're at all interested I am [email protected]
dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 01:56 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
(he thinks I'm a dog)
No, clearly you're an ancient stone monolith
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 02:16 am
@dalehileman,
beer is poison to my body.

took my mind a while to get used to the idea...

it's after 3 am here.

might should go bed myself...
roger

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 02:42 am
@Rockhead,
It's after 2:00 here, and I agree.

Night all.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 07:42 am
So, the thread is solved.

Joe(everybody move along)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 08:23 am
@dalehileman,
I think you're off blaming a2k again.
If you are quoting another post, there is no need for you to edit a quote.

I think this all came up because you (it seems, if I understand some of your other threads) are posting by cutting and pasting, possibly from your email using the email as a kind of notepad. At any rate, whatever you cut from to paste, you do it a lot, and that is why this scroll business shows up as a problem for you.

If you want to quote something in a past post, highlight it and then click the Quote button above that particular post.

If you want to start a reply anew with your own words, you don't have to worry about scrolling until the window is filled with type, and by that time the scroll bar will be activated.

If you want to edit those words, do as everyone else and put your cursor on the word with your mouse. Or get to the word by using your arrows on your keyboard.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 09:09 am
@ossobuco,
I'd better add that you can isolate the part of a long quote that you want to show by delete the paragraphs that don't apply to your point, but you know that.
My point was more that you don't want to be changing anyone else's words.

After what is left of the quote that you added by using the quote button above the person's post remains framed in the reply window, you will still have space to type, and the scroll bar will show up when you need more room to type.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 09:54 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
beer is poison to my body.
I can well understand as in spite of my predilection I must ration my own intake, averaging only one bottle/day

Except when my boys visit and we conduct beer-tasting in the sauna

Quote:
took my mind a while to get used to the idea...
I can well understand; when I was a kid it was positively an addiction

Quote:
it's after 3 am here…...might should go bed myself...
Curious, as in my case was it an addiction to forums of this sort that was also keeping you up late, or should I say early
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 09:54 am
@roger,
I gather Rog you share our addiction
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 09:55 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
So, the thread is solved.
Yes indeed Joe and thanks for your participation
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 10:17 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I think you're off blaming a2k again.
Only a quirk in its edit routine

Quote:
If you are quoting another post, there is no need for you to edit a quote.
No, yes, sorry, Oss if you misunderstood. Given a posting considerably bigger than the window in which it appears, very often it proves desirable to scroll around to edit my own comments; repair spelling, correct grammar, add afterthoughts etc etc

Quote:
….. because you…...are posting by cutting and pasting, possibly from your email ……...
Seldom from an email. But yes, I cut and paste as illustrated by this very posting

Quote:
…... cut from to paste, you do it a lot, and that is why this scroll business shows up as a problem for you.
Exactly as I mentioned above

Quote:
…...highlight it and then click the Quote button above that particular post.
I presume you're referring to the "Quote"BB Code, and yes of course I know how to do that. Forgive me if I wasn't perfectly clear, it's not so easy

Quote:
…….you don't have to worry about scrolling until the window is filled with type……….
Yes, no, Oss, again perhaps you missed the drift of some of my later postings where I showed how many quotes confuse the a2k editing routine, preventing the appearance of the scroll bar even when text extends above and below the window

Quote:
If you want to edit those words, do as everyone else and put your cursor on the word with your mouse.
No, yes, Oss, again forgive me if I wasn't clear. I know how to move the cursor around

Quote:
Or get to the word by using your arrows on your keyboard.
You might want to review preceding postings, although concede it's no fun--as I observed--more than once--that the entire purpose of the mouse scrolling wheel was to make tedious scrolling by keyboard unnecessary
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:11:57