what do Americans/Canadians think of Australians?

dk0431

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 06:24 am
Me and some mates are coming America and Canada at the end of the year and was just wondering how australians are looked upon?

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 06:26 am
What, are you jokers still around? Piss off.

No, really, we love ya.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 06:29 am
@dk0431,
Tourists. You're considered tourists once you get here.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 07:48 am
@dk0431,
I think some Australian men are sexy, not the blonds though. Must be brunettes. Cool
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 07:56 am
Unsophisticated Americans will ask you to say "G'day, mate." to them several times while they laugh and hold their sides.

Even less sophisticated ones will tell you there is no frigging way Nicole Kidman is an Australian and ask you if there is anyway you can take back Mel Gibson for good?

American sports fans will be completely flummoxed by any description you offer of Australian Rules Football.
(Wait. You can run with the ball if you bounce it off your foot?? ) **

You will be just as puzzled by the American description of the game we call "football" but that is centered (no pun intended) mostly on carrying, throwing and catching something that doesn't look at all like your football.

Several people will say they appreciate you inventing both the kiwi and the kiwi fruit, though they are not sure which came first or if kiwis hatch out kiwi fruits or vice versa. You will reply something about "New Zealand", their eyes will glaze over.

Some will ask you how many quarts of beer you consume at work, answer "Four." then pause and add "Of course, for you lot, that'd be about ten ponys."

That will give you something to talk about besides if you ever actually "put another shrimp on the bar-bee."

Joe(Welcome. Let us know if NYC is in the plan.)Nation

**unless I'm getting the rules of Irish Football mixed in there.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 08:00 am
"Australia? Hey, you might know my friend Pat. He lives in Brisbane."
Foofie

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:14 am
In my opinion, Australia is inhabited by people that had ancestors in the U.K., once upon a time. They speak English. Care for their interesting animals and birds. By sight alone, I could not tell they are not from the U.S. or Canada, or the U.K.

I think more about cute koala bears and kangaroos than the humans in Australia.
0 Replies

Enzo

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:46 am
@dk0431,
I have been told that Australia is an awesome place to live, and people are more chill and relaxed than than people here in America. I also hear that aussies don't worry about their job every second of the day, because they are too busy enjoying life. And I'm also aware of the sterotype that aussie women are an eye candy, and you guys wreste with crocs as if it's a walk in the park. Is any of this true?
sozobe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:42 pm
@dk0431,
I'm biased towards Australians -- I always assume I'll like them, and if they're not actually that nice/ funny/ interesting, the disappointment is crushing.

I blame dlowan.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:48 pm
@sozobe,
Since mumpad and dadpad stayed with us for a couple of days and we drove through Germany, Australians are among my top favourites ...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 01:07 pm
@dk0431,
It would be best if you learn to talk like Crocodile Dundee.
Mame

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 01:12 pm
@roger,
yeah, say "Fair dinkum" a lot.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 01:17 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I'm biased towards Australians -- I always assume I'll like them, and if they're not actually that nice/ funny/ interesting, the disappointment is crushing.

I blame dlowan.

Yeah....always blame the bloody rabbit.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 02:21 pm
@dk0431,
Australians? Why, in what way are they different from USians or Canajuns or Poms? Slightly different accent. Most North Americans (and that includes Canajuns) can't tell the diff. between an Aussie accent and UK Britspeak.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 02:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Slightly different accent.

whoa!

Australians (male and female) are famous upspeakers.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 02:40 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:
Slightly different accent.

whoa!

Australians (male and female) are famous upspeakers.

So are some folks from the UK.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 03:03 pm
I just made the Australians honorary Texans.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 03:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've been an honorary Texan ever since 1991 when the Mayor of Dallas gave me a little card which proclaimed that as an honorary citizen I had the same rights to be arrested for rowdy behavior or drinking in public as any native-born Texan. I was so touched.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 03:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks. They saved me the trouble.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 04:01 pm
Women glow and men plunder.