death

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:52 am
I'd rather be "normal" than "abnormal." I'm with rufio. LOL
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:05 am
Since consciousness is something we do not understand so far, and I am it's only observer, what happens when the observer and the observed bot vanish at the same time?
Well, 0/0. Which is undefined, even in mathematics. Singularity. The stuff that lies in the center of a black hole. The beginning of the universe. The end of the universe. All and nothing.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:38 am
Is that to imply that I don't, JL? Or just that I don't do it in a way that's acceptable to the mavens of academia? 'Cause I'm absolutely fine with the latter.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 12:06 pm
rufio, I'm in that camp too!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:26 pm
truth
Rufio and Cicerone, that's fine; that's where you are at.
Relative, interesting question: "What happens when the observer and observed bot[h] disappear at the same time?" As Tywvel has said repeatedly there is only OBSERVING. That was always the case, even when one has the dualistic delusion of an observer (subject) observing an observed (object). It's only a coincidence, of course, but when we juxtapose two zeros we have the image for infinity: OO
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:41 pm
Dualism and the two zero image of infinity requires too much imagination. Wink
0 Replies

Randall Patrick

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:33 pm
Death
>>>Randall, I think there's some truth to your thesis, but as generalities, there are too many variables. I think a person in bad health with pain may wish to die early is most cases, but not always. In the same way, althought the majority on this planet live a meager life, they may wish and hope for a better future for themselves and their children. "We are" pretty much covers it.<<<

Cicerone,

I agree. The variables are, in fact, as many as there are different people embedded in different circumstances. No two people live the same life. But my point revolved more around how this impacts on a discussion about death. Once you acknowledge there is no Right Way to understand death then you start to thinking there may well not be any Right Way to understand the part before death either. In other words, that the meaning of life itself is always just an existential vantage point that is, essentially interchangable with any other one.

And this disturbs A LOT of people.

I also agree that most folks on the planet live a meager life indeed. In fact, 3,000,000,000 of them [according to recent National Georgraphic magazine article] live on $2 a day or less. So, they are far too preoccupied with subsistence to give death all that much thought philosophically, right?

RP
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:38 pm
Randall, Welcome to A2K. Yes, that's about the size of it. It's hard for most Americans to realize how difficult life is for most people on this planet. Most go to bed hungry, and most Americans are over-weight. It's tough out there.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:19 am
"Where I'm at"? JL, if there is somewhere else you think I should be, kindly enlighten me. If not, please shut up and stop patronizing.

Disappearance and appearance apply to objects only, not observers, since what's being described in an observation and not an event. Do you mean "cease to exist"? Or "transport"? Or do you simply mean that both the object and the observer are made invisible to the eye? (At that point, though, the observer would probably be blind, since one can't see if light doesn't bounce off of one's retina, and if one is invisible, it's natural to assume that this isn't the case.)
0 Replies