Mr KnowItall knows nothing.

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 08:42 pm
I need to help a friend make a website for her jewelry designs. (They are good and there's interest in Japan for them, but the editors and writers she's spoken to all say there needs to be a website showcase in order for her to be successful.)

I'm supposed to know everything.

I know nothing about webdesign or even how to start.

What are the steps? What software is best? Just how complicated is making a website. Etc....

Treat me like the baby I am.

Joe Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,476 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 08:47 pm
Why do it yourself? It can be done cheaply by a designer.

The reason why I ask is because if it's supposed to be a showcase the design is important and it may be best for it not to be a learning ground.

You can probably get a site designed for half the cost of the most popular software titles used to design sites.

But if you really want to do it yourself, I recommend using something liem Frontpage. It'll probably look like something designed in Frontpage but that will be the easiest software for any user familiar with Word etc.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 10:39 pm
Craven, I think you are probably right about hiring a designer, but I don't know about cheap. Especially if he gets somebody in New York. I work with a guy who could do it for you Joe, but I'd have to ask him how much he charges. I know he charges around $80 an hour (maybe more) for doing Flash webstuff. If you want to do it cheap though, you are going to have to put a lot of time and/or effort into learning. If your friend needs it to look professional, and done pretty quick, then I'd say her best option is to bite the bullet and pay somebody to do it.

What about Dreamweaver, Craven? It's pretty simple, once you get the concept of it. It's basically drag and drop, and you can see the layout as your designing the page, more or less.

If you want to check out some software for free, just to check 'em out, I think you can download free trials off download.com.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 10:48 pm
Quote:
What about Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver is superior to Frontpage, but it is double the price & will not be as familiar for users of Word, etc.

Frontpage 2003 was a big step up from previous versions (in particular it creates much cleaner code), though it's not up to the level of Dreamweaver MX 2004.

As Craven said, for the $400 you'd spend on Dreamweaver you could get a pro to do it all for you (if this is a simple site you have in mind) and it will look & function better.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 03:06 am
kickycan wrote:
Craven, I think you are probably right about hiring a designer, but I don't know about cheap. Especially if he gets somebody in New York. I work with a guy who could do it for you Joe, but I'd have to ask him how much he charges. I know he charges around $80 an hour (maybe more) for doing Flash webstuff. If you want to do it cheap though, you are going to have to put a lot of time and/or effort into learning. If your friend needs it to look professional, and done pretty quick, then I'd say her best option is to bite the bullet and pay somebody to do it.

He could get something simple done for 50 bucks if he hosts it with them.

Quote:
What about Dreamweaver, Craven? It's pretty simple, once you get the concept of it. It's basically drag and drop, and you can see the layout as your designing the page, more or less.

I have Dreamweaver but have never used it. I personally think WYSIWYG editors aren't useful for anything except learning or drawing tables quickly (though I prefer to do tables myself, as the editors always get it wrong).

I bought Dreamweaver after learning HTML and only got it because it came with the Macromedia Suite with Fireworks, Flash etc.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 03:55 am
Craven de Kere wrote:

Damn websites are cheap over there. Shocked

Craven de Kere wrote:
I have Dreamweaver but have never used it. I personally think WYSIWYG editors aren't useful for anything except learning or drawing tables quickly (though I prefer to do tables myself, as the editors always get it wrong).

I bought Dreamweaver after learning HTML and only got it because it came with the Macromedia Suite with Fireworks, Flash etc.

I use Dreamweaver regularly (since I didn't need to buy it), but only for its templating system & for its ability to automatically update links whenever filenames change, otherwise yeah I dislike WYSIWYG editors as well & I'll just do everything in Dreamweaver's 'code view' anyway. Well, the code color formatting (whatever that's called) is useful, but there are free editors that do that.

I think Dreamweaver is a waste of money because many people who wouldn't be satisfied with FrontPage 2003's WYSIWYG editing would be better served by doing coding in notepad.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 04:23 am
Monger wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

Damn websites are cheap over there. Shocked

It's just a matter of finding the right person/deal. This could cost anywhere between 50 and 500+ dollars here.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 05:36 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
WYSIWYG

WYGIWYG. Accept no substitutes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 06:08 am
Ah, the Seal of Disapproval
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:29 am
True WYSIWYG is a rarely-attained ideal, particularly with web design programs. WYSIMOLWYG would be more accurate. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:57 am
More is less?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 08:23 am
...More or less, yeah.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:57 pm
Thank you all so much for your suggestions and techno-babbleish ramblings. I am so appreciative.

Thanks/
Thanks/
Thank you.

Damn, I love the depth of this forum......
Joe Nation

PS We are selecting a web designer to do the work. I'll let you all know when it is up.
0 Replies