Hi Craven! My quartely or so whine about lack of page rank

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 07:42 pm
Hi CdK and Co.!
I'm hoping you can help me figure this one out. I still have a page rank of zippo. nuthin. nada. kaplunk.
I haven't submitted to dmoz in ages -- i'm leary of getting spaminated. I did a group add when i started the site last february, using the ipowerweb tools. Google does index the site (somewhat). I've managed to get some nice referall links on occasion (not enough, but hey, I try!!!!) - and still zippo. I'm using the patented Craven SEO spider -- and though parts of the site are indexed, still zippo page rank.
Any ideas? Any suggestions? Any naked pictures of my wife?
Seriously, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've submitted to a couple of barely related dmoz sections previously - though 1/2 the time, the request doesn't go through (i.e. the dmoz web page barfs) but it has gone through at least a couple of times...about 6 months ago.
I'll resubmit if you think that's a good way to go...or otherwise, is there something about my site google just doesn't like?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,316 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 08:15 pm
Page rank won't change based on what you use on your site. It's a matter of backlinks. You need backlinks.

People will either find and link to you for free, or you will have to solicit or exchange them, or you will have to buy them.

Referral log spamming, guestbook spamming, FFA and such will most likely be filtered out.

Get backlinks, and the page rank will improve.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 08:59 pm
thanks cdk - as always i appreciate the reply. i've had numerous links back (defining a link as their site having my url -- it just doesn't seem to be happening.
for example, the backwards links show zippo to me, but a copy and paste from a google search shows (hope i'm not breaking an A2K TOS):

Edit(Moderator): Links removed

the above came right from google - yet google shows no links.
any ideas or suggestions?
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 10:14 pm
oops! guess i broke a TOS - sorry!
when i do a google search for gadget addict it takes a while for the site to come up...when i do it for gadgetaddict i'm the top pick.
Even for gadget addict, it shows the site listed on other sites - including the Edit (Moderator): URL removed. You may not use Able2Know for promotional purposes. reference (see, i didn't put in the link - nyah nyah Smile
Anyway, I went to dmoz and submitted the site again...do you think when you have a chance, you could take a quick skim of my site and let me know if there is a clear catagory you feel dmoz would accept? i submitted it today under pocket pc - although that's not the main purpose or category of the site, that seems to be the predominant one...
any help would be greatly appreciated - i've been pulling out my thinning hair so much that i may give someone a pinch Smile
thanks again for any help!!!!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 03:14 am
Gary you can't post links to your site here at all.

The backlinks you have seem to be mostly from messageboards, Google will sometimes filter them out in terms of backlink consideration because some people post links on guestbooks and messageboards for the purpose of the backlinks.

But that may not be the case. The backlink and pagerank calculations are not done as frequently as the index updates. In addition, the backlink query is not reliable with Google.

In any case your pagerank isn't going to improve based merely on a few links unless they are from high ranking pages.

You asked what category in Dmoz you should submit to but I'm not sure that it would be accepted at all.

Gadgets are a highly commercial topic, and competition/standards for that type of site are different.
0 Replies