I need a new bed...

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 05:47 pm
Quite frankly, my bed sucks, and does nothing for my chronic back troubles. I have seen a bunch of beds advertised on TV, such as the sleep number, and that one made from some NASA-developed material. Aside from trying these out myself, I was curious if anyone has had first-hand experience with these fancy beds. Did they work, or were they just an expensive scam?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,695 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Letty

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 05:06 am
Cav, if you can't trust Linsey Wagoner........... Smile

The best thing for you to do is have a bed custom made, my friend.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 05:17 am
cav- I would go to a large mattress store, and try out a number of their products. There is no way of telling if a bed is right for you, unless you actually lie on it for awhile. What is great for one person, might be awful for another, even if Lindsay Wagner comes with the deal! Laughing

There ARE places where you can try out the sleep number bed:

Link to Sleep Number locations
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 05:23 am
Yikes, Phoenix. I couldn't even spell the woman's name correctly. So much for bionics.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 06:14 am
Dang Phoenix, no Canadian links on that site. I knew the bionic woman wasn't to be trusted....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:00 pm
Hi cav, I asked my wife about those beds, and she said somebody at work has one, so she's gonna ask her for more detail.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:10 pm
I think we just bought a sealy mattress. I don't remember the brand name, but it's a 'regular' mattress. Works just fine for me! I would just shop around like Phoenix said and find one you like.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:31 pm
What do orthopedic surgeons say? (I have no idea, except that they like to talk politics over lunch.)

I stayed the last two days at a friend's whose guest bedroom is well situated and well appointed with all the most feathery of bed materiel..... Girl dissolves into cloud, tries to find her book...

Long have I heard the floor is a better place. I have no idea what is better myself. Awaiting experts' replies...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:32 pm
What do orthopedic surgeons say? (I have no idea, except that they like to talk politics over lunch.)

I stayed the last two days at a friend's whose guest bedroom is well situated and well appointed with all the most feathery of bed materiel..... Girl dissolves into cloud, tries to find her book...

Long have I heard the floor is a better place. I have no idea what is better myself. Awaiting experts' replies...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 02:40 pm
My girlfriend has a sleep number bed but I don't get much sleep on it because she keeps waking me up to tell me I'm snoring. Aside from that it's a nice bed.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 02:46 pm
osso, my brother spent some time in Japan, and tends to sleep on the floor even when he is here. I dunno, he's in really good shape so it's probably okay, but the floor just hits every bad nerve and bone in my back. I remember when I was a kid visiting relatives sleeping on a waterbed (not too popular these days, I guess) and finding it great, as it had no resistance, so no pressure points were targeted, and I had no pain sleeping.
0 Replies

K e v i n

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 06:57 pm
i'm scared of water beds, i always feel like their gonna eat me or something
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 07:17 pm
The latest word from the world of someone who spends far too much time read ortho and chiro reports is that: really firm beds aren't that great for most of us; water beds are only for the very young - most of us don't have the spines for them; and firm mattresses with pillow tops seem to be getting a pretty good reputation.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 09:10 pm
Thank you, ehBeth. Yah, that fluffy foofoo bed in Napa was probably too cloudlike for long term back health. Very nice for two days.

Waterbeds, aaagggg. Slosh, wave, ohhhh, ugg. I know, those weren't filled just right. Ugh, ugh, I hated them, hmmm, I do seem to be tapping into old waterbed anger..
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 09:19 pm
Cav, what about a firm mattress with a soft top? I can't remember what they're called.

Waterbed anger? Hmmm, emotional distress combined with serious back pain seems to rule out waterbeds.

I'll take the foofoo bed. Sounds heavenly.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 10:07 pm
Yes, all white foofoo pillowy this and that... SINK...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 10:13 pm
Diane - I think you're thinking of the pillowtop style of mattress I mentioned.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 10:28 pm
I just bought a set like you describe eh! and they are wonderful. I've never slept better.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 10:32 pm
Time for me to climb the stairs to the second floor, and then up the library steps to the top of my pillow top mattress!

G'night all.

Here's hoping the cavfancier's gettin' some decent snooze time.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 05:28 am
Diane- Are you referring to an "egg crate"? I learned about them when I spent much too much time on a hospital bed. I bought one for a sofa bed that I have at home (which has a lousy mattress), and it makes a tremendous difference.

Link to "Egg Crate" Mattress topper

Cav- Sorry that Select Comfort only seems to have stores in the US. They DO ship to Canada, but the point is that you really have to try the bed first.
0 Replies