Are you superstitious?

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 02:35 pm
Apparently some people are... see below

Is superstition a beneficial element of society/culture, or is it a detriment, or it is neither?

"Passion of the Christ" tickets bear 'mark of the beast'

ROME, Georgia (AP) -- Tickets at one movie theater screening Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" are being deemed decidedly unholy.

The number 666, which many Christians recognize as the "mark of the beast," is appearing on movie tickets for Gibson's film at a Georgia theater, drawing complaints from some moviegoers.

The machine that prints tickets assigned the number 666 as a prefix on all the tickets for the film, said Gary Smith, owner of the Movies at Berry Square in northwest Georgia. The 666 begins a series of numbers that are listed below the name of the movie, the date, time and price.

"It's from our computer and it's absolutely a coincidence," Smith said. "It has nothing to do with the film company or any vendor. It's completely in our computer."

In the Bible, the book of Revelation says 666 is the "number of the beast," usually interpreted as Satan or the Antichrist.

Several patrons have made comments about the numbers, and one person who was uncomfortable having 666 on her ticket asked for a pass to be substituted for a ticket.

"A lot of people have asked what the numbers mean, some said it seemed odd, some said it was inappropriate," said theater employee Erica Diaz.

The movie, which opened Wednesday, is a bloody depiction of Christ's final hours and crucifixion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,130 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 02:59 pm
There are days that I wonder whether or not literacy may be dangerous.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 03:43 pm
People are morons.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 04:16 pm
kickycan wrote:
People are morons.

Some people are exploring Mars with robots, and others are worrying about the 666 on their movie tickets.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 04:19 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 04:20 pm
No, I am not.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 04:30 pm
Me neither- I am shaking my head in complete wonderment at the naivete and lack of sophistication of some adults.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 04:39 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
No, I am not.

Me either Frank (knock wood), oops, what am I saying Wink
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 04:49 pm
I'm not either. You might have guessed that from my earlier post.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 05:27 pm
Nope. Well, when I was in high school I had very long orange socks that I'd wear to the shootaround on game days, but that's about as close as I can remember being to superstitious -- and that was for laughs.

If I went to see that movie, though, and if I got that ticket (two very big ifs, and I'm not sure if the latter isn't more likely than the former, since it's actually happened), it would definitely go on the fridge where that fortune cookie fortune in Spanish should be and for some reason isn't. Probably got nicked by that succubus from last night...
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 07:08 pm
I used to work as a Cashier, and some people would hate it when their total came up to $6.66 or $66.60.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 01:00 am
Nope, not me.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 01:23 am
This is hilarious.
I don't know about the places you live but we have a host of apartments and office towers with no 13th floor. I've always found whole 13 thing ridiculous too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 01:29 am
Thinking, how long superstition stands: '666' is said to be "beasty" because it's the number containing the concatenation of one symbol of each type (exclude M = 1000) in Roman numerals: DCLXVI. :wink:
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 02:19 am
Was not the complaint about "666" whether it was intentional or not?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:53 am
I'm just a wee bit superstitious. I don't believe it's bad luck to walk under a ladder per se. I do believe it's bad luck to walk under a ladder from which a paint can is falling.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:56 am
I admit to be a moron. It all depends who you are comparing yourself to. I enjoy being a moron - at least I am in a very good company.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 10:32 am
I wonder how much of the computer number hoofra is caused be a desire to be Exceedingly Visibly Righteous rather than a fear of contamination by 666.

Personally, I carry touchstones in my pocket. I resolutely collect Good Omens from the time I start considering getting out of bed and facing the day until I'm tucked in at night. When I'm on crutches, I touch wood and knock on wood and caress wood as a talisman against both human stupidity and the elbows of fate.

He is superstitious; you are ritualistic; I am determined to think positively.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 10:59 am
BRAVO!
I support the 'positive thinking' superstition approach; everything, EVERYTHING, when you aproach it with positive thinking, is a positive learning opportunity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:17 am
I'm not superstitious . . . never have been, never will be . . . knock wood . . .
0 Replies